Ibis ti Mojo - drivetrain upgrade?

sylvain

BoTM Winner
Hi guys

I've come across a bit of money and was planning to upgrade some of the drivetrain components of the Ibis, which I will be using for a bit of racing including the Nationals. It's currently got a m952 chainset and 9-speed m952 shifting, still working well. The m901 rear mech is not great though with its weak spring and the replacement (non floating) jockey wheels I fitted.

Looking at wiggle they have good prices on OEM new xtr stuff - rear mech £54, complete chainset £187. It doesn't look fantastic though and not sure how the neo-retro look (which has been discussed here before) will work on the bike. It should function fantasticly though so very tempting. On the other hand, the previous (03) XTR stuff is being discounted now - chainset £150. Might look cool with ti grey. On the other hand (the third one :)), I've always fancied trying XO shifters (trigger) and mech - very expensive though.

What do you guys think?

ibis16.jpg

I've heard of problems with the X0 shifters packing up and the rear mechs being a bit fragile. The new XTR shifters are supposed to be similar in action to the X0, but lighter action and more positive. What ever you put on that it'll look good, the frame hasn't aged at all, it could be from last year ;)

yeah it rides like a dream despite frame being almost 15 years old and most components around 10 :). i raced it every wednesday night for two months last summer.

only (slight) letdown is the shifting now, with new bits it will be a fantastic (and even lighter) race bike.

yes XO mech is 2.5 times more than xtr and having never used Sram not even sure I like their action.

i think i will go for 07 xtr mechs/chainset/shifters :)

i had some of the blackbox carbon XOs & they were frankly sh,te & ultra fragile (not quite pauls, or precision billet tho ;)
I've been using the M971 (standard spring direction) & like it. yeh sure you wont notice much difference to M950 series in actual use. but the wider pivot placement of the M960 & M970 series mechs should mean they last even longer than M950.

I dont have much experience of M960 & M970 chainsets. the M960 b.bs were fairly hit & miss re sealing & the M970 does appear to have addressed some of the M960s shortcomings.

totally recommend the M970 shifters :D

Cheers, I will indeed go with M970. Might put my M901 mech for sale here as well as other stuff to help finance (big old as new Ritchey tires, maybe some M950 stuff for Wu :) ...

This is a nice bike! :shock:

If i was you, i go for the Paul thumbies and DuraAce shifters, DuraAce cassette (10 speed), a Rohloff chain and TA-Specialities cogs.
Then you can go up to 30 speed. ;)

I have to say I'm a big fan of a mixture of retro and new school parts.

The message I think it gives out is that you've chosen the best of breed - for whatever reason, be it aesthetic or functional - from what's available. With the exception of thumbshifters reliability, I think shifting's getting better and better so think the '07 XTR would be the way to go. Stick with the V's for the performance : weight ratio and that little beauty is going to fly.

(No refunds available on my $0.02)

Back