1998 Barracuda Cuda Cat XC

Hey there,

I came across your bike on a google search.

I started a thread over on mtbr.com about the Catamount MFS, apparently they made your Cuda Cat bike. I just recently rebuilt my Catamount.

The link is here.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=587140

There's a good bit of info over there, including geometry chart and old magazine reviews from the 90's, and frame specs.

I posted pics of your bike over there (linking back to this thread on Retro Bike).

catamount rider":1rk18e1w said:
Hey there,

I came across your bike on a google search.

I started a thread over on mtbr.com about the Catamount MFS, apparently they made your Cuda Cat bike. I just recently rebuilt my Catamount.

The link is here.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=587140

There's a good bit of info over there, including geometry chart and old magazine reviews from the 90's, and frame specs.

I posted pics of your bike over there (linking back to this thread on Retro Bike).

Thanks for the heads up :D

when I grabbed the Cuda it was only because it looked a lot like the Catamount which I came across on Bikepedia while searching for Catamount Bottle Holders that were on eBay. Something about the frames just look right to me. I'm half disappointed that it's not my size and will is being done up for loml but on the other hand it means I'll just have to hang out until I find a real Catamount or a Barracida XXC.

I'll head over to mtbr and have a look, I'm sure I have a lurkers account over there :LOL:

Slow6":1i9zo177 said:
Thanks for the heads up :D

when I grabbed the Cuda it was only because it looked a lot like the Catamount which I came across on Bikepedia while searching for Catamount Bottle Holders that were on eBay. Something about the frames just look right to me. I'm half disappointed that it's not my size and will is being done up for loml but on the other hand it means I'll just have to hang out until I find a real Catamount or a Barracida XXC.

I'll head over to mtbr and have a look, I'm sure I have a lurkers account over there :LOL:

Here's the Catamount geometry/fit chart incase it comes in handy for your search for the right size.

The size noted as "Larry" is a reference to the then owner of Catamount.

I like the Catamount. I've had mine for years and recently took it down from the attic and built it up some some newer bits. The addition of a modern platform fork (Manitou Minute at 100mm) has help negate the URT's inchworm effect when applying the front brake.

Attachments

• Catamount_geometry_fit.gif
    Catamount_geometry_fit.gif
    34.8 KB · Views: 4,464
Here's my recently resurrected Catamount MFS. I retired it back in 2004 and recently took it down from the attic and built it back up again with a mix of old and new parts.

Attachments

• camo_cat10002.jpg
    camo_cat10002.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,180
Wow! If you had shown me those tyres on their own I would have thought you were mad.. but they they (and the bike) look great :D Love it.

Thanks for the chart btw. Looks like I'll be hanging out until I see a 20"

Although I must admit the ERB's you linked to in your other thread sparked my interest. If I ever have a big wad to throw at a bike I think I'd be seriously thinking of starting with one of their larger frames. I can't say that I found the vid of the testing on the website all that convincing though.. Hopefully people will start building them up and post reviews.

Cheers :)

Slow6":wicogoab said:
Wow! If you had shown me those tyres on their own I would have thought you were mad.. but they they (and the bike) look great :D Love it.

Thanks for the chart btw. Looks like I'll be hanging out until I see a 20"

Thanks for the compliment on my Catamount.

These Catamount frames are hard to come by, not out of demand or collector status, but because they never really sold many. It was a small two-man operation that sold directly on the web and phone. Most people seemed to have bought it sight unseen just based on the website.

If I see 20" frame/bike I'll send the link your way.

Part of me still thinks these tires are mad. I got them free years ago a bike event and last rode them in 2004. But they make the bike fun and I think bikes should be fun. They are made by Sweet Skinz. The have even madder patterns these days.

Back