£1000 to spend on a new bike...

Go with a Kona!

Lucky one £1000 on a spanking new bike!

As a Kona fan I am biased!

The Kona Explosif is a cracking bike and if you are able to buy a 2006 model rather than a 2007 model one could be had for £899.99

Dedacciai steel frame – single speedable (sliding dropouts)

The fork may not be much cop but the frame is quality. Dirt magazine had a review of the frame recently and they said some very good things.

Like I say I am biased towards Kona – and the Kona I have is a steel framed one (1999 Caldera).

The Genesis altitude bike that Hilts mentions is a cracker too – my LBS had a couple of the Genesis range in over the last couple of months (including the single speed) and the frames are really well made.

I hope this helps?????!!!!!!

Mark

Hmmmm, not sure about 2006 bikes. I'll call the helpline and ask. I think i'm limited to what is available through distributers, old stock will have already been sold off cheap to retailers so probably isn't available. Worth a punt though.

Not come across Genesis before, anyone got any more info on them? I've found their website, what's their story? Handbuilt at all?

You can't get sale bikes on these schemes (although the bike shop might have a way around it - definitely worth asking them!)

Just thinking - if this were a really ecologically friendly scheme you should be able to buy 'retro-bikes' through it. No carbon footprint from a second hand bike!

That Genesis Altitude 2.0 looks a decent bit of kit; 853 main tubes with butted cro-mo stays. For £1000 the whole bike is not exactly uber-exciting but at £350 for the frame, it's tempting.

I think i might not bother with the cycle to work scheme and just build a new bike out of that frame. It's way better value than the P7 or EVO8 frames that Orange are selling, and probably a damn sight lighter too.

I constantly amuse myself with how rapidly my bike purchase plans change :roll:

Tallpaul":3i7hpxrp said:
I constantly amuse myself with how rapidly my bike purchase plans change :roll:

I can second that - three months ago i would have sold my granny for a vintage Klein Attitude. Now i want a Cove Stiffee FR or Yeti 575! Can't afford any of them mind :cry:

Anyone know anything about Sanderson or Charge?

I think it's a three way split between Sanderson, Charge and Genesis.

Genesis are edging it purely because i'm a little more comforted knowing Ridgeback are behind them. Still, that Sanderson is mighty pretty...

TP

I was checking out the Sanderson before I chose the Genesis. it was a very nice frame but to build it up to the standard that you got the Genesis off the peg was quite a bit more. Wasn't sure on the Grey frame (the racing green appealed but they don't have any currently)..
I had a lot of contact with one of the product managers for Genesis who told me a great deal about the bikes and their ethos, absolutely top bloke and that swung it in the end for me, they offered to switch bits if i wasn't happy with Stem length etc....

I think the Charge Duster is quite a lot more money..

Frame Only Prices:

Genesis: £349.99 delivered
Sanderson: £369.99 + postage
Charge: £349.99 + postage

Buying frame only as i have Middleburn/XT Groupo, Mavic/Hope Wheels, Hope Mono Minis, Pace Forks and USE/Hope/Flite finishing kit to build with.

Back