Triple front Ultegra mech compatible with old RSX 7spd?

Kerplunk

Senior Retro Guru
Is there any reason why I can't use a Ultegra 6603 (10spd) with an old 7spd setup? Is the cage too narrow for the 7spd chain? I'm thinking of swapping my RSX groupset over to a different frame which needs a braze-on front mech. Its only a tenner for the Ultegra in the Chain Reaction sale which seems far more reasonable than £17 for a bottom of the range 2300.

It's hard to answer absolutely - a lot depends on how extreme the chainline is, which in turn depends on how long chainstays are etc.

I'd try the 10 speed and go for it!

Yeah my opinion was that the spacing between the crank rings isn't any different so the shifting up front should be ok. Then the difference in widths between the 7 and 10 spd cassettes should more than make up for the difference in chain widths for the chainline.

That said having played around with different setups with the sale stuff on Chain Reaction I can almost justify a mix and match 105 front and back derailleur/tiagra crank/(and heres the poor bit)sora STIs setup. Hmm.

Sora STIs are excellent. A bit of a Datsun feel about them but much better than regular types if riding in the winter will full finger gloves.

The odd thing is that Campag Ergos are much cheaper. Campag 10 pulls the same cable as Shimano 8 - so you could run a Shimano 8 rear end with the Campag ergos...

Are there any Campag Ergos that pull a Shimano 9? My 'concern' with the Sora's is that I'm used to the RSX that have the dual lever set up the same as Tiagra. I wasn't convinced by looking at the Sora about how easy it would be to change using the small lever when on drops? Or is that ok in practice.

Why are Campag so much cheaper?

Campag stuff you on the rear mech, Shimano on the shifter... :D

You can get Campag 9 to index Shimano 9, using the Hubbub modification method to cable routing - look on the CTC technical site or google it. However, 9 speed Campag is now NOS as it's all gone to 10 or 11 speed.

Campag shifters are rebuildable, repairable and upgradeable and don't seem to suffer from the lockup disease that affects Shimano. I still run 1996 Record ergos, which were originally 8s and now have 9s insides. They feel a lot more clunky when shifting. It's kind of the difference between Alfa and Honda..!

Sora can be indexed by the thumb when on the drops - but Campag's thumb paddle is definitely bigger!

Ok done a little bit of looking. Can do 10spd Campag ergo to 9spd Shimano fairly easily if the rear mech allows the hubbub fudge. Ribble have 10spd Campag Xenon for £49 or Simano Sora for £83. I take it there isn't much in it quality wise?

Back