1988 Rocky Mountain Avalanche

That is one sick bike and you did NOT pay too much for that. I was watching that auction and considered buying right up to the last few minutes but thought it was a bit large for me. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it, trying and then selling if it was too big. That auction was a sweet find. What kind of condition are the original replacement decals in?

You have to post more pics of it.

very nice frame, tidied up nicely too.

Good buy, I'd have paid that for it. Is it going to be a rider?

It will be a rider. I'm excited to get it finished. Have to build the wheels and then I'll do up some more pictures. If I go Sunsets then I'll do DX hubs...more flexibility that way, in case the wheels wind up on something else down the road. There's another alternative for hubs that I've got my eyes on though, but I won't spill those beans here just yet... :cool: :LOL: I also have slate blue Mavic 221 rims that would look damn sexy too.

My max bid was much higher than what I paid, so I'm not having second thoughts at all...on the contrary. Like I said earlier, these are not available in the South and you have to move when you have the chance if you want one. The only thing that would ever make me question its worth in relation to what I paid is that it's a Japanese frame, and not a BC-made Rocky.

But I'm not complaining...I'm damn happy.

bagpipes":2p6foo27 said:
What kind of condition are the original replacement decals in?

They are in fine shape. The decals on the bike are good too though, so the replacements will just go in the stash. :cool:

You'll have to talk more on the history of this era of Rocky as interested to know and where in Japan they where built, etc.. 5lb+ frame ?

FluffyChicken":1ehf5ady said:
You'll have to talk more on the history of this era of Rocky as interested to know and where in Japan they where built, etc.. 5lb+ frame ?

I'm fairly certain that these Japanese Rockys came from Toyo, same as many Bridgestones and Yokotas and many others. Toyo built a bunch of stuff for folks back in the day, and they still build for folks like Rivendell. Toyo built frames are quite the secret in the MTB world, as they don't fetch a bunch of dough, but Toyo (and similarly, Panasonic built frames) are very well constructed. The welds on my Yokota are some of the prettiest I've seen, and most folks have no idea what the hell that frame is!

I'm not 100% sure that the frame is from Toyo, but that's my understanding. I'm sure some of the usuall suspects in the Rocky Mountain brain trust on Retrobike can chime in with more info. I'd be interested to know more too. I have to admit... I wanted the Yokota because ist was a Toyo, but the Rocky...well, I wanted that because its a Rocky!

Come to think of it...I think my '89 GT Avalanche is a Toyo frame too. I may have an accidental addiction of sorts going on here! :LOL:

Weight for the Rocky? I've no idea. Lets just say, more than my Klein, but less than the EWRs! :LOL: :LOL:

These were indeed welded in Japan by Toyo. There is an old article that mentions it in the second paragraph of a review. It doesn't mention Toyo by name but I inqured via email with Chris DeKerf about an old 80's RM that I have and he mentioned that all the Japanese RM bikes were welded by Toyo.

Attachments

• rmbbrod4 800.jpg
    rmbbrod4 800.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 2,513
I have now read this thread from start to finish twice per day since I first saw it. I love your bike! My a$$ is hurting from kicking it repeatedly for not bidding on that wonderfull piece of metal goodness.

I guess I should pay attention to my own signature.

I've got all the parts hung on the frame. Just need to build the wheels and then we're rolling. I'll put up some pictures soon. :cool:

Back