19?? Carrera Krakatoa GT

dirtjumper_dmr

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Bought this tonight. Bit of a random purchase, but a mate had one in about 1992 (it's deffo older than that though.) Seems in very good nick, the paint is good, drivetrain good, all good really. I do not like the stem.

It has XT mechs, XT thumbies, Answer Taperlite bars and a few other bits of note. The seller seemed a nice guy, he'd upgraded it from 300lx bitd. He's got a box with the original bits in so I'll be getting my hands on that too.

Plans are for a longer, flatter stem, and swap the rear cantis so that they match the front ones, and then ride it. Bargain!

I know it won't be everybodies cup of tea, I only really bought it 'cos of the price but having ridden it 10 miles back from collecting (i got the train there), I have to say it is growing on me.]

Sorry about the rubbish pics, I had using flash but hey. Oh and any help with what year it is would be good! :D

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 6,313
Like that mate, bitd Carrera's used to get some pretty good reviews in MBUK.
Cant help you with the year but I'm sure someone will be along shortly ;)

Cheers. I thought it was going to ride like a complete tank, but coming home on the main road it was very quick, I was in big ring all the way, even the uphill bits which suprised me as it's quite heavy compared to my Rockhopper (stil alot lighter than my Trailstar though!)

To be honest, I was really planning on splitting it for some 'bunse' for my next project, but I will deffo be keeping it now, at least for the summer :cool: :D :LOL:

Keep it mate, its such a shame to see nice original old bikes like this split.
Do you think you will ride it much?

chrisv40":nrk1ifaw said:
Keep it mate, its such a shame to see nice original old bikes like this split.
Do you think you will ride it much?

Yeah I wil keep it now, it's been 'approved' by the boss!

I think I will ride it a fair bit, I want to keep my Rockhopper nice and shiney, as it is in near new condition. I can see this being my main retro-ride, especially when I've got a longer, flatter stem as the one that's on it (original) is a little on the short, high side for me. Think I'm doing a night offroad ride on wednesday so I'll give it a thrashing and see how it copes! :D

Nice original bike! Were Carrera a Halfrauds brand bitd??

What canti's you after mate cos I've got a box full of spares that I can look in. ;)

brocklanders023":2kwf5gsy said:
Nice original bike! Were Carrera a Halfrauds brand bitd??

What canti's you after mate cos I've got a box full of spares that I can look in. ;)

Yeah this has Halfords sticker on the downtube. I want to get cantis to match the front, I think they are old non-low profile XT ones or something. I'll do a closeup pic in the light tomorrow. It still has the plasticy 300LX ones on the back. Nasty!

i had one of those bitd bought it as a frame and parts 93/94 ish
it was as you say a suprisingly nice bike
it lives on a caravan park near stranrear now

keep the good bits then huz the rest - I had one of these for about 5 minutes and it was pretty grim to ride.

Sorry.

Back