ProFlex 1996 856 Rebuild - ON HOLD !!!

good gravey - just read the whole thread.

Makes my cobbled together shite look like, erm, cobbled together shite...

Loving reading this thread, I've had my 757 Expert frame sitting in the garage for the past 5 months - you've really given me some inspiration to pull my finger out and get it done for the summer (not to mention finishing the gf's Beast as well...)

Top, top work :cool:

Having an hour ago aquired a Proflex (Beast, I think - altho' decals and paint not original so difficult to tell knowing nowt about them other than they always quite intrigued me!) I have just read thro' this.

Depressing, seeing what COULD be done with it and KNOWING that I have nothing like the patience to do so!

Fantastic job.

I think I'll just ride mine while the off-tarmac ground is hard and then split and sell (the Profile Ti bars are quite nice!).

Thanks for the comments :)

As per normal :oops: :LOL: I haven’t got very much to report, other commitments have ment build time has been limited, but I have been keeping my eye out for quality parts when the price is right :cool:

M970 rear (with Ti bolt kit) :

DSC04767.jpg

M971 front (with Ti bolt kit) :

DSC04764.jpg

I also picked up a Dura ace / XTR chain. So far I have managed to acquire (all new / boxed and all 970 or 971) brake / shifter combo levers, V brakes (f&r), both mechs and the chain cheaper than the rrp of just the combo levers :shock: :cool:

Crank and cassette seem to be the hard items to pick up cheap but I will keep looking … :?

Father Christmas delivered a nice USE carbon post courtesy of ‘Corduroyboy’ :

DSC04711.jpg

If he says something is like new, it really is like new :cool: :cool:

I also sourced a spare set of vectors (off ‘mackem’) so I now have a full spare front end in case of any future ‘mishaps’ :LOL: :

DSC04746.jpg

Just how flat have those elastomers gone ? :shock: :

DSC04753.jpg

I did manage to prep the swing arm which really just consisted of flatting the scratches out and cleaning up the casting / forging ready for powder :

DSC04740.jpg

Note the chamfer on the front pivot. This was apparently a factory mod to allow more front mech clearance when on the granny ring. Hopefully it will work with the XTR mech – if not the granny ring will be coming off because the mech wont be ! :LOL:

WD :D

If you're running compact rings, the clearence should be fine, if chainset is standard size, I modified my front mech to avoid the frame clash.

Looking forward to updates.

WD Pro":v3xthinp said:
Father Christmas delivered a nice USE carbon post courtesy of ‘Corduroyboy’ :

DSC04711.jpg

If he says something is like new, it really is like new :cool: :cool:

:D

Though I get the feeling that you could even improve the finish of the USE 'post!

:LOL:

Loving this thread. I had been following your posts on the proflex forum, but you have a lot more on here.

Great to see the way this has evolved. I ended up getting around the mech/swingarm clearance issue by going 1x9 with my setup.

I'll be checking back here though to see how it continues to evolve.

Latest posts

Back