No interest in bikes or parts from last 20 years

^ I do like it but I don't think the black stem and seatpost match.

The wheels are great though, I was gonna get the same for my bike

I'm akways puzzled by people who say that indexing requires constant fettling. It's just not true. I've had indexed gearing since 1987 (6 speed Deore XT on my mountain bike) and all my bikes are indexed from that one (which I still have) to my 'posh' road bike with 20 speed Ultegra SL. It just works. No adjustment required. It needs to be set up right to start with and then it's perfect until I change the cable and set it up again.

I love STI - both on my mountain bikes and road bikes. Gear changing doesn't require a change of hand position so I have better control at all times.

So - I like new technology where it's useful. I share concerns about looks though - My stable of four bikes has two completely steel, one steel / Ti mix and an alu/carbon mix. The steel looks best.

terryhfs":1c7mp3mn said:
I'm akways puzzled by people who say that indexing requires constant fettling. It's just not true. I've had indexed gearing since 1987 (6 speed Deore XT on my mountain bike) and all my bikes are indexed from that one (which I still have) to my 'posh' road bike with 20 speed Ultegra SL. It just works. No adjustment required. It needs to be set up right to start with and then it's perfect until I change the cable and set it up again.

Yes, until you change the cables, or until they get full of dirt. Which happens fairly quick if you ride in the right conditions. This goes for 'brifters', not for downtube STI - Which is my definition of perfection.

Just to address another matter: Threadless headsets are NOT stronger than threaded ones, just a different way of adjustment. I agree that the 5/6mm hex wrenches are the easier way to adjust though.

Threadless are stronger - not in the bearing itself, but in the stem arrangement.

Admittedly this should (pedantically) be stated that "threadless are stronger for the same weight." It simply because of the elimination of the duplication of metal of the quill fitting inside the steerer.

I have to agree with the remarks about indexing. My Campag 9 speed setup (1994-96 Record ergos and Chorus mechs) never needs any tweaking and I ride it all winter. I don't use exotic sealed cables or suchlike.

I'm told that Campag might be a bit less finicky because the greater pull per click makes friction less a factor.

Modern wheels with lots of facile stickers that say 'race' 'super light' '6061 Alloy' etc. irritate me. They even put them on top end expensive wheel sets. Why?
I pull them all off!

You could say the same thing about cars - technology has made them more efficient and they do everything much better than what was around 30+ years ago but the majority just do not have what you might call character or substance. I can appreciate a new Ford GT or Dodge Challenger as examples but the originals are much more interesting. Must have something to do with using too much plastic and carbon fiber etc. There is just something about metal , chrome and paint colors that showed individuality - most colors today seem more bland - especially on road bikes. I enjoy my newer mountain bike but despite it's age and inefficiency am glad I kept my old Italian 10 speed.

tintin40":1dq1ep4a said:
No way should a racing bike have 3 chain rings. (touring may be) Or a long cage rear mech :x

Unless it's being ridden by a nancy

i believe in fixies":16c7x63x said:
tintin40":16c7x63x said:
No way should a racing bike have 3 chain rings. (touring may be) Or a long cage rear mech :x

But what a ride nancy was . . . Oh you said by a nancy. I thaught you were talking about the lady on the red connondale called nancy, but that as they say is another story. . .

i believe in fixies":jczhfnh5 said:
tintin40":jczhfnh5 said:

I guess that includes Miguel Indurain, who tried triples to improve his climbing... :D

hamster":1tf3nmun said:
i believe in fixies":1tf3nmun said:
tintin40":1tf3nmun said:

I guess that includes Miguel Indurain, who tried triples to improve his climbing... :D

Yes, he tried them then gave up and moved back to something proper. I still remember him doing one last tour too many and being dropped on the climb. :( As a kid the day I saw my idol was only a human after all

Back