Stumpjumper M2 build up

MarkLG

Dirt Disciple
I bought the frame from Harryburgundy a couple of weeks ago and I've just about finished getting the bike built up. The frame's a 2000 model year 17" M2 Stumpjumper - it's in excellent condition, pretty well mint apart from a couple of very minor chips to the paint.

DSC00462.jpg

DSC00465.jpg

DSC00464.jpg

Frame: 17" M2 Stumpjumper
Forks: Pace RC31
Wheels: Mavic Crossride
Drivertrain: M770 rear mech, M760 front mech, M750 STI levers, Deore chainset
Brakes: Modern Deore
Thomson Elite stem
Thomson Elite seatpost and SDG Bel Air saddle (on loan from my Stumpy FSR)

It's mostly built up from stuff I already had, along with some kit I've picked up over the last couple of weeks on ebay and on this forum.
The cranks will be replaced with M750 XT at some point, and I'm on the look out for some riser bars to make the riding position a bit more comfy. If I'm happy with the position of the layback seatpost I'll get another one and make it a permanent fixture.

That looks fantastic fella ! As an M2 owner myself I know how good these ride , wish I had bought that frame now !! :D

I hankered for one of those too. I bet its proper light. I cant help thinking the Pace forks are bit short though? A really nice bike though :)

The Pace forks are 420mm long and from what I've read they're designed to replace an 80mm travel fork, which is what the frame is designed to run.
At the moment it weighs around 22lbs. When I get round to changing the chainset and rear cassette for XT items and fitting a lighter saddle it should come down to about 21.
I've only ridden it up to the end of the road and back, but it feels very responsive. :D

I think its the slope in the picture that makes the angles look a bit steep. My bad.

You've got the basis of a sub 20lb bike there. Go-on, you know it makes sense! :) How about some Extralite components? Cranks, seatpost, stem, and bars. Should take you sub 20lb with a nice lightweight BB, eggbeaters 4Ti's, and stans no tubes.

Wouldn't be cheap though :LOL:

mikesnowdon":2jlflknn said:
Wouldn't be cheap though :LOL:

That's the problem. When I bought the frame the intention was to build it up as cheaply as possible so I had something to use for training rides when I didn't want to get the full-suss FSR out. It's already cost me quite a bit more than I'd budgeted. :D
I've got my eye on a 2000 S-Works on ebay that weighs 21lbs with a set of Manitou's on the front...

I've got a 2002 M4 stumpy built up with short P2 forks and it flies! Quite nice geometry and low BB make it feel nice and stable :D

Back