WANTED - KARMA

ovlov440

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi

Having been given a Sunn road bike by my brother in law, I have found that it is impossible to remove the stem from the forks despite the advice/guidance of people on this site (the headset needs replacing).

sooooooo. this means I am going to have to destroy the stem and forks to remove them.

Does anybody have a spare set of forks and quill stem (pref with removeable faceplate) they would like to donate, or have going very cheap?

Cheers

Ade

quill stem removal

dont wish to sound patronising but have you tried this method - unthread the allen nut at the top of the stem just a touch one turn or so - then a strike sharp hammer on the nut to dislodge the base of the quill where it seized ... watch you fork ends dont get damaged ..

Hi

Not patronising at all. The quill is fine, it is the actual stem that has seized. Penetrating fluid, coke, heat, 3ft breaker bar, prayer, violence.......I have tried them all!

undo like above - use loads of plus gas and be patient - maybe days. Clamp fork crown in vice (using wood to avoid damage) and turn the stem. Once your turning, keep doing so, slightly pulling upwards. Try not to rest too much, the friction heat build up and then stopping might cause it to seize, so keep going. It will come.

Are you actually holding the bike still? It needs to be clamped solid.

After that, the correct amount of violence will get any stem out. I use an old cold chisel and have taken stems out that haven't moved since the 1930s.

Saying that, if it's threaded, can't you just undo the headset and regrease/replace its bearings?

Back