2005 Turner Flux

andrewl

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
The bike I've ridden the most over the last 5 years is my 2005 Turner Flux so its probably time that I showed it here.

I ordered a Flux when they first appear in late 2004 and my frame was in the second batch of frame produced and made it to me in January 2005.

I built it up using the then current M960 series XTR groupset including dual control shifters and the XTR wheelset and a 2005 Fox F100 RLT.

In July 2007 I found a small crack in the front triangle at one of the welds on the shock mount and even though the frame was out of warranty Turner Bikes were excellent and quickly sent me a custom coloured front trinagle. In fact the only question they asked was what colour would you like.

Since then I've only really changed the forks to a set of 2007 Marzocchi Corsa SL WC 100mm fork and updated the wheels to the current XTR disc wheels (both done in January 200:cool:.

So far its been an amazing bike to riding, very fast and responsive and flatters my skills in some respects.

In the last 5 years we've done a massive ammount of riding including National level XC races, 24hr events, marathon races, multi day multi stage races, numerous all day rides and its always been a faithful ride even with creek crossings which cover the top tube...

It sees a little less riding these days as I rotate through the other bikes and as the 5 Spot now sees general do it all duties but we'll be doing another 4 day race at the end of the month which I'm rather looking forward to.

Frame: 2005 Turner Flux size large (2007 front tri in custom yellow, clear anno rear).
Shock: Fox RP3

Fork: 2007 Marzocchi Corsa SL WC (currently)

Headset: King Black
Stem: Thomson Elite 110mm
Handlebar: Easton Monkeylite SL low rise
Grips: ODI Ruffian MX lock on

Brakes: XTR Disc
Brake Pads: Metal pads
Brake Levers: XTR Dual Control

Shifters: XTR Dual Control
Front Derailleur: XTR
Rear Derailleur: XTR
Derailleur Cables: XTR
Cassette: XTR 11-32
Chain: XTR
Cranks: XTR
Crank Bolts: XTR
Chainrings: Currently Blackspire 44/32/22
Bottom Bracket: XTR
Pedals: XTR

Hub Skewers: XTR
Wheelset: XTR Disc
Tyres: Mostly Maxxis but sometimes run the Rocket Rons

Saddle: Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flow
Seatpost: Thomson Elite 27.2 Layback
Seatpost Binder: the one which came with the frame...

Weight: ~23.5lb

As originally built (with the 5 Spot and Burner)

main.php

New front tri in August 2007

main.php

main.php

New fork and wheels January 2008

main.php

Not usualluy a big fan of full sus but that looks very tidy....nice design :D

Prefer the Fox forks on it but that's just personal preference

Neil G":2xevv713 said:

The Fox forks worked ok but the seals never lasted more than a few months. The bushing design and oil movement in the left leg isn't great and they basically just destroyed themselves.

The Corsa took longer to a lot longer to set up, but performs slightly better in my opinion. They also cost less than a new crown/steerer/stanchion upper for the Fox which was also a big factor...

Good choice on the yellow!
Any chance of a few words of comparison between the 3?
Still no Turners here - just a wee bit jealous :(

I was high bidder on a flux at the begining of the month, fancied one for some time, thought it would make a suitable change to the epic. Sadly I was out gunned, and now my priorities have been changed :(.

Ziggy":1mdtru0x said:
Good choice on the yellow!
Any chance of a few words of comparison between the 3?
Still no Turners here - just a wee bit jealous :(

First Turner review I read was yellow, so when I was given the option on the new front tri I had to take it up.

I can easily do a comparison between the 5 Spot and the Flux as they have very similar components and I ride them often. The black medium Burner in the top photo also has the same XTR group, but its hard to compare as its a little on the small size.

There are other Turners I can include in a comparison too, but the variation in some of the parts between those builds means I'd have to think what is frame/suspension and what is components.

Anyway when I get a free moment to jump between bikes I post my thoughts.

andrewl":39rzha34 said:
First Turner review I read was yellow, so when I was given the option on the new front tri I had to take it up.

Same here - bright yellow Burner in MBUK. :cool:

I can easily do a comparison between the 5 Spot and the Flux as they have very similar components and I ride them often. The black medium Burner in the top photo also has the same XTR group, but its hard to compare as its a little on the small size.

There are other Turners I can include in a comparison too, but the variation in some of the parts between those builds means I'd have to think what is frame/suspension and what is components.

Anyway when I get a free moment to jump between bikes I post my thoughts.

Cheers! I'm looking for a new sus frame at the mo - wasn't being particularly fussy, but I'm now thinking I should...

I'm sure the too-small burner would fit me a treat! ;)

andrewl":19mdtv5z said:
Neil G":19mdtv5z said:

The Fox forks worked ok but the seals never lasted more than a few months. The bushing design and oil movement in the left leg isn't great and they basically just destroyed themselves.

The Corsa took longer to a lot longer to set up, but performs slightly better in my opinion. They also cost less than a new crown/steerer/stanchion upper for the Fox which was also a big factor...

I see where your coming from on the price!

Neil G":v9p9ddpg said:
I see where your coming from on the price!

This may sound a biut silly but colour was also a consideration.

in late 2007 early 2008 and the top 100mm forks were white, white or white. And I'm not a big fan of white with yellow.

Back