Fat City Cycles Yo Eddy fork Vs. BOI (Big One Inch):my forks

GoldenEraMTB

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
A couple discussions as of late motivated me to take photos of my two Fat City Cycle forks, one an early 90/91 Yo Eddy, and the other a later BOI (Big One Inch) from around 95. I've taken photos of them side by side from different angles, so we can compare and contrast them. I've also take what I've found to be the most definitive quote on the differences between the two, made by Rody over on fatcogs. Here's the quote:

The Yo Eddy fork was a 1.125" bladed segmented crown fork that was standard issue on all Yo's until the introduction of the Fat Titanium, when the BOI (Big One Inch) fork was introduced (also coinciding with the release of the 10th as Colker pointed out).

The Big One Inch steel fork, utilizing 1.0" tubing, was then the standard rigid fork for all Yo's and TI's until the "need" for front suspension ceased production due to lagging numbers.

So...if your bike was produced prior to late 92 early 93, you would have a Yo fork...after that point in time, if you went rigid it was a BOI for you.

cheers,

rody

The red one (I will update with the exact color name later) is the Yo Eddy, and the green one is the BOI. Enjoy :)

:click images to enlarge:

Beautiful forks and colours, suppose might as well as which fork is considered to be the better one (if such thing can be decided?)

clockworkgazz":9r3vrocc said:
Beautiful forks and colours, suppose might as well as which fork is considered to be the better one (if such thing can be decided?)

Well, I plan on putting both to use, so I hope to know first hand.

I'm going to get them on a scale as well, though one has a much longer steerer tube, so it probably won't be a fair comparrison on the scale.

I would think that the larger diameter tubing on the yo eddy would lead to a stiffer/harsher ride that the thinner diameter legs of the BOI.

A question I have:
Were all BOI forks suspension corrected? Mine appears to be, and many of the ones I've seen have tons of tire clearance compared to the yo eddy fork, this can be seen in the pics; it's a much taller fork.

GoldenEraMTB":2hucrj5x said:
A question I have:
Were all BOI forks suspension corrected? Mine appears to be, and many of the ones I've seen have tons of tire clearance compared to the yo eddy fork, this can be seen in the pics; it's a much taller fork.

Here is some info that I received in an e-mail directly from Fat City quite a few years ago, that may help solve some of your fork questions:

"There are two different forks and it gets more complicated than that.

First of all, the threaded Yo Eddy! fork was introduced with 1 1/8" diameter blades. Some time later, threadless steerers were introduced.

Then, in 1992, our Big One Inch fork was introduced -- still not suspension adjusted -- and, if I recall correctly, that was exclusively threadless.

Then, we built many Big One Inch forks adjusted for 2" of suspension compatibility and then, finally, after we moved to New York, they were adjusted for 2 1/2" of suspension compatibility.

The trick to identifying these many creatures is to measure the blade length. That will be the determining factor in establishing the vintage. Blade OD will help to identify the vintage, as well, as in ALL Big One Inch forks are more recent than the pre-suspension Yo Eddy! forks."

fatmikeynyc":4dpa0lrv said:
GoldenEraMTB":4dpa0lrv said:
A question I have:

Here is some info that I received in an e-mail directly from Fat City quite a few years ago, that may help solve some of your fork questions:

"There are two different forks and it gets more complicated than that.

First of all, the threaded Yo Eddy! fork was introduced with 1 1/8" diameter blades. Some time later, threadless steerers were introduced.

Then, in 1992, our Big One Inch fork was introduced -- still not suspension adjusted -- and, if I recall correctly, that was exclusively threadless.

Then, we built many Big One Inch forks adjusted for 2" of suspension compatibility and then, finally, after we moved to New York, they were adjusted for 2 1/2" of suspension compatibility.

The trick to identifying these many creatures is to measure the blade length. That will be the determining factor in establishing the vintage. Blade OD will help to identify the vintage, as well, as in ALL Big One Inch forks are more recent than the pre-suspension Yo Eddy! forks."

Re: Fat City Cycles Yo Eddy fork Vs. BOI (Big One Inch):my f

GoldenEraMTB":27r3wp13 said:
The red one (I will update with the exact color name later) is the Yo Eddy, and the green one is the BOI. Enjoy :)

Green?

I think you mean Chameleon Metallica ;)

Re: Fat City Cycles Yo Eddy fork Vs. BOI (Big One Inch):my f

andrewl":2ures83t said:
GoldenEraMTB":2ures83t said:

Green?

I think you mean Chameleon Metallica ;)

:LOL: yes yes, and the red is sunburst metallica iirc

Good thread Rob. Heres something to consider also. I have a Yo fork on my 92 Yo Eddy and the axle to crown measurement is 390 mm. The later Yo fork i have on my Ti is 410mm. Both have Campy drop outs and both have threaded steerers. When I bought the longer fork for the Ti it had a decal on the leg the same as in your pic. We need to keep digging and work on a definative timeline of what changes were made and when.

Si

The matching BOI on my 96 Yo frame has Campag dropouts too.

96yo_162.jpg

Back