1995 Kona Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

MikeD

Senior Retro Guru
Recently reacquired - I originally had this in 1998 or so, moved it on sometime around 2001/2, it's been through some other hands and has ended up back with me. Although it was a complete bike when it left and now, er, isn't. I can lay my hands on the original fork, but the rest of it will be Things I Can Find. Will probably go properly cruisery with it - hooge bars, the biggest slicks I can fit in it, and so on. Anyway. At the moment it's something of a blank canvas ;-)

Bike Hoarder":2yqj547i said:
great bikes, but heavy as f.... :shock:

Nah, the frames are not TOO bad. Just most of the original components were cheap and heavy. You could do a lightweight singlespeed build... if you threw enough money at it.

I had my 95 Humu built up with a Brooks saddle and On-One Mary bars. Back to original spec now, although the Kona "Rush Hour" tyres will need changing one of these years.

The "Stars & Bars" Aha frame is heavier, as it has the big BMX BB shell and a plain-gauge curved top-tube.

I just bought some Profile BMX cranks for the Aha. Once they go on (in place of the fluted Campag Record crank), I think it's going to be a real tank :(

No resprays here, "patina" is where it's at ;-)

Don't think this particular one has been on here, but there are a few about. There may be heavier frames out there, but there are very few with longer chainstays :) I might weigh it while it's bare.

Back end is 120mm spacing - the original BMX hub is long gone, but I've got a Shimano DX cassette jobber built into a black 517. Need to sort out some kind of vaguely matching front wheel, and find a 27.0mm seatpost. And I guess I should put cantis on it, really - when I first had it I ran a V on the front and left the canti on the back, but having mismatched levers was always a bit bereft of win.

Current favourite bars:

27872.jpg

And I'm thinking 2.35in Schwalbe Big Apples.

Oh, any owners have any suggestions for a half-decent paint match? It could do with a few bits touching up, like those huge bald patches inside the chainstays...

MikeD":1zz40cpx said:
Back end is 120mm spacing - the original BMX hub is long gone, but I've got a Shimano DX cassette jobber built into a black 517.

Current favourite bars:

27872.jpg

And I'm thinking 2.35in Schwalbe Big Apples.

Is that the 1990s red DX groupset? Or the original 1980s BMX cassette hub?

The 2.0 Apples fit fine. 2.35s will be tight. The stays get quite narrow behind the BB. So you might end up having to slide the wheel WAY back to get stay/ canti clearance.

Having said that, it WILL fit a 2.1 inch WTB Moto Raptor 29er with the axle set ALL the way back. But you need a Surly 1x1 fork on the front to squeeze in a 29er wheel :cool:

I just bought some Profile BMX cranks for the Aha. Once they go on (in place of the fluted Campag Record crank), I think it's going to be a real tank

Almost certainly , but don't forget you can get a titanium axle for them . Also if you want a nice rear hub look at the gsport ratchet , it can even be fixed by flipping a pawl over if you fancy doing that .

Back