1996 Marin Team Titanium (started as a '99 Team Ti frame)

Well, it's been a tough year for the old stead. She crashed badly after a wet root changed my downhill direction in a rainstorm! Landed upside down in a river, after falling off a bridge. The saddle got killed, as did a Mavic 117 SUP ceramic rim. My leg was cut and there are a few more scars on odd components on the bike.
A month prior to this, my M900 rear mech was removed in Grizedale forest. The breakaway bolt really works! Although it didn't hold onto the back plate and tiny circlip. This mech is now a spare for the others.
I guess riding this bike so hard and so often, without any real sympathy, has made me decide to upgrade a few bits and treat her right...
...before I rag her again!

DSC01099.jpg

DSC01100.jpg

DSC01101.jpg

I had a spare Flite transalp saddle and I had to search for a 117 rim. Luckily there was wheel on ebay that very day! With the bonus of a Pace suspension hub, that will nicely compliment my Black Middleburn rear hub.
Shortly after, I realised that I wanted a disc at the front and found this Hope set up. It came with some decent wheels too. Ceramic 217's on White industries rear and a Hope disc front. All I needed was a shim for the forks (thanks justbackdated) and we're off.
I will continue to use a magura rim brake on the rear.
My Onza Mongo headset has started the cry for help, and feel a Black replacement is on the cards. I may upgrade to King!

P1000408.jpg

P1000409.jpg

P1000410.jpg

P1000411.jpg

P1000412.jpg

P1000413.jpg

P1000414.jpg

P1000416.jpg

P1000418.jpg

P1000419.jpg

I'll update the build as it happens, but for now I'm gathering parts.

Will be a nice upgrade, that hub and wheel looks sweet. Re the breakaway bolt, I recall the advise was to put a zip-tie through it to prevent losing the back plate etc but who wants to do that to there pimpy alloy bolt!

That should be in the totty section, all that Ti lovelyness is too much to bear and I may need to go and have a lay down..

Also is it me folks or was this built by those guys at Tisports? The dropouts give it away...

Also is it me folks or was this built by those guys at Tisports? The dropouts give it away...

Yes. It was built by them.

I am changing direction again with this project. It will be stripped and totally rebuilt onto another frame and I will start again with the Other frame next week. I have to use 'excel' spreadsheets to control and channel all my ideas!! I'm not joking.

This will be my opportunity to push for better braking, longer travel, lighter parts etc. Once a bike has a frame, forks and wheels, you can just get a feel for what will look best. I think the Black and Gold will set a theme, that will be hard not to follow.

Swapped frames this afternoon. Some snagging to do, cable ends, gear set up, bottle cage bolts and a new pair of headset bearings, but all went smoothly. I also need to replace all the steel bolts for either Ti or ally. Just a few hours more work really.

Took some quick photos of the 1996 Team Titanium...

P1000425.jpg

P1000426.jpg

I then had just enough time to (tidy the kitchen before I get told off) start a mock up of the '99 Team Ti. Yes, I've discovered that's what I've got - a 1999 Team Titanium as made by Ti Sports in USA.
Apologies for the stem, but it is only a perch for the purpose of photography! I was just about to fit the Action Tec Ti BB and Cook Bros cranks, but the 'pick the girlfriend up from work now' alarm rang!!

P1000421.jpg

P1000425.jpg

Very similar aren't they?

I decided that as it rides more like a light nimble steel frame, I would highlight its characteristics with thinner tyres and even lighter components. This will become a really fast cross country bike, that will stay away from trail parks! I have sold the Titanium Titec stem, and thrown away the Mongo headset. The stem is currently using a Titec alloy job, until I can find a Ti one I like, and I've put a logoless King headset in place.
Looking around it though, there are 33 bolts that can put upgraded to Ti or alloy, which I will get around to.

After the destruction of the Mavic rim, I managed to source another in Germany, that actually came with a Pace hub. I pondered with the idea of sending the wheel to the wheelbuilders for its new rim, but never got around to it. I guess it wasn't a priority as I had a spare set of ceramic rims on Hope hubs to be getting on with.

The more I thought about sending wheels to someone else, the more it made me want to have a go myself.

I followed some simple rules and had a go...

Damaged rim detail

P1000742.jpg

I split the new rim from its snowflaked build into a Pace hub, and taped it to the old.

P1000743.jpg

Started with the non-drive side, as it would be easier for the drive side spokes to came over later, due to the angle. I had to replace a couple of alloy nipples as they were wasted. I oiled every nipple, and seat, as I went along.

P1000744.jpg

Once all the spokes were brought over and tensioned, I needed a jig!
A little logical thinking and I went in search of an idle Marin Mount Vision rear end...

P1000745.jpg

I had to use lightbulb box lids cut into arrows and sellotaped on for guidance. Worked a treat.

Once back on the bike, it needed a little pulling over to the drive side, and it was done. All in, it took about an hour and a bit. I have put Continental Cross Country 1.5's on now, so should be rapid. I will post a picture of its new guise fairly soon, but understand the stem is temporary.

I was so pleased with my first step towards wheel building. I am going to get a proper jig and build some wheels from scratch now.

Everybody should try it!

Up in Gisburn forest before the changes in tyres and stem...

DSC01319.jpg

Back