NWA: Trough of Bowland National RB Event Recce 20/1/10

sinnett177

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Feedback
View
The time is fast approaching when the North West Area puts together it's very first National Retrobike Ride Out event. This will be held on Saturday Feb 27th in and around the Trough of Bowland.

Our first recce is at 10am (ish) Wednesday 20/01/10 starting at the car park Dunsop Bridge. Looks as though we might have a decent turnout, so if your free why not come and join in.

map1dunsop.jpg

Possible turnout:

sinnett177 - Mark - alpinestars
Drystonepaul - Paul - modern :eek:
mr_ship - Richard - ???
Woody - Chris - ???
sinnett177's friend - Another Mark - modern (he knows no better)

Please feel free to join in if your free, hope to see you there.

sinnett177":1fxdi0o4 said:
Drystonepaul - Paul - modern :eek:

Yeah I know. I'm trying to keep my retro tinder dry so to speak.
Plus it'll be the first ride out on my latest low budget eBay special build up.
It's a hardtail, it's five years old and so middle of the road it hurts.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures from this educational ride.
In the meantime here is the route profile. I honestly can't remember there being as many downhills as that. :LOL:

Attachments

• Trough-of-Despond.gif
    Trough-of-Despond.gif
    56.3 KB · Views: 920
Today was possibly the finest recce retrobike has ever done. Four riders turned up for the recce, we rode the route and we came to a unanimous decision about the route, which was a thanks but no thanks.

It was hard going to say the least. Often being forced to carry our bikes in wet miserable conditions. Bits we might of enjoyed were covered with snow and the easy bits like crossing fields sapped our strength as we ploughed through the soft mud. This is a route well touted by the mainstream bike magazines, it really makes you wonder about their judgement as tbh this route would be shite even in the dryest of summers.

Fair play to Chris (Woody) for coming straight off a night shift to join us. Also to Paul (Drystonepaul) and Richard (mr_ship) for putting in the effort and continuing to smile.

For those reading who did not attend you are probably thinking that heads need to roll in the NWA for todays adventure. As group head I totally agree and will see to it that those responsible are brought to account. However as a distraction here are some pictures of the recce:

4290396889_b1b021360e_o.jpg

After a long carry! Random stranger takes our picture :D

But, at the least the descent would be fun! Well it looked it on the map :?
4291137508_d3209aca7c_o.jpg

4291137728_3420025bd3_o.jpg

4290397815_cf70b0941d_o.jpg

DSP enjoyed the conditions.

4291138420_7927778ea9_o.jpg

View back to where we had come from.

4290398425_d4ba304981_o.jpg

Scottish holiday photo

4291139072_c5d8d640d1_o.jpg

The board sector was rather short and ultimately pointless.

4290399107_67f94fa163_o.jpg

Perfect for those muddy rides, the Paul rear mech.

sinnett177":7qh4xowx said:
For those reading who did not attend you are probably thinking that heads need to roll in the NWA for todays adventure.

I would've been a good start if we'd managed to get our wheels rolling.

The highlight for me had to be the painful bare skin sensation when crunching through the knee deep icy snow on the first lethal descent wearing shorts.
This was closely followed by the snow in my shoes and the soul destroying endless moorland bog trotting.

Proper winter retro ride.
Personally I'd shoot the deputy though.

Great pictures by the way.

Enjoyed it greatly, though I am a bit of a sado :LOL:
Mark / DSP, I think the next route needs more boggy bits and unrideable downhill .

One thing I did learn is that Pauls rear mechs are indeed shite in a British winter. No wonder all the ones on this site look unused :lol

I came off my night shift grabbed 50mins kip then was really looking forward to a good ride on the bike ....the ride soon became a good push with the bike! Even so , this was a really fun day out ,we all took a tumble at some point on the ride (Mark after 2 minutes of setting off!) Will I be up for Sinnett177's next recce ride ? ........go on then count me in , I like a challenge ! ;)

Back