Rate my Hei Hei

Drapoon

Kona Fan
93' Hei Hei - the oldest part of the build by far!

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1344039/

I've added some modern forks to the front end ready for a trip to scotland in a couple of weeks, seems to ride ok.

Will have them dialled down at all times as they are in the pic (down to 90mm)

You should see it dialled up! - chopper springs to mind :cry:

Geometry ruined?

Opinions pls

cheers

Martin .

Very clean.

Nice job making the best of the rear cantilever cable routing; the aftermarket clamp-on units always look clunky.

I've done as much on one of my Breezers in the past. However, now when I have a frame with cantilever specific cable routing in the rear I leave the canti brake and only add a V-brake to the front. I find the the increased stopping power at the front is more than adequate and the V-compatible levers allow me to run the pads of the rear mounted canti a little further the from the rim. Everything seems a little tidier/natural that way.

In my opinion,, modern fork on old geometry Bike (Jo Murray's geometrie) is an error. The modern fork are too tall !. Ok for downhill, but it's bad for climbing (the weight is more on the rear wheel). I rode a sunn titnium. Very good bike. The day, I put a marzocchi Xfly on the front, I lost a lot off foun and pleasure with it. The fork worked fine but wher I climbed on the Bike, I had to push the bike.
For your beautifull Hei Hei, you have to find :
A project 2 titanium fork (if you are lucky). A rigid titanium fork or Ritchey steel fork would be ok.
On other hand, for old suspension fork : The 1998 Sid fork (they seems to a Judy), Pace RC 38 fork…
There's a solution for your FOX : use some adjusting shim for pulling down your fork to 60mm of deflection. The fork has to be under 425-430mm tall !
A 80mm fox is around 440-450mm : It's too high !
Modern fork are good for a rear suspension bike, but, it's killing the specific spirit, and the special feeling of a titanium bike

Great looking Hei Hei,

Would agree with 24 pounces that you could do with a more retro fork on the front, but something like a RC35...Dave Hemming had a lovely Hei Hei back in 1992-3 set up with a set and a tioga disk drive off the back, stunning machine..

But hey...whatever works right!! Enjoy Scotland dude and get some piccies together for POTM!!

Rich

Thanks for comments dudes.

I think longterm I will be putting the pace rc31's back on it after my trip. Then look out for some ti project 2's -(?!)
I agree it looks a bit chopperish but need a decent fork to iron out the descents.
I do have some 96' judy sls but dont feel they will be upto the job.

I'm wishing I hadn't sold my full susser last year, arghh well!

Will defo post pics - Stayin at a farmhouse / campsite at Dumfries & Galloway & riding at Ae, Mabie & Glentress. - should be ace!

Martin

Latest posts

Back