Hot Rod Marin Mount Vision

REKIBorter

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
This hasn't been seen for a while on here. My early, 1997 Marin Mount Vision. The original swing arm cracked and was replaced with a modern one a couple of years ago. The new swing arm has disk brake tabs, I was looking to sell on my Kona so transfered the Hope brakes and Mavic wheels to this.

I have fitted Hope Mono M4 disc brakes, Mavic Crossride wheels, X-lite XC bars, X-lite Clickon seatpost, X-lite stubby bar ends and Kore stem. Overall it handles very well and is certainly a rider. Not the most original of builds and not the cleanest but I like it how it is.

Basic spec:

Frame: Marin Mount Vision 1997 17.5"
Swing Arm: Marin 2007 FRS
Fork: Rockshox Judy XC 1998
Headset: M-Part Pro
Wheelset: Mavic Crossride Disc
Brakes: Hope Mono M4, front 180mm - rear 160mm
Shifters: XT M739 Rapidfire 8 speed
Deraileurs: rear XT M739 - front XT M739
Cassette: SRAM 11-34
Cranks / Chainrings: Sugino / Middleburn
Bottom Bracket: Shimano LX
Chain: SRAM PC68
Pedals: VP-104
Stem: Kore 130mm
Handlebar: X-lite Xpert XC
Grips: Onza Ules
Bar ends: X-lite stubby
Saddle: Selle Italia C2 Gel
Seatpost: X-lite Clickon 27.2 x 400 shimmed to 30mm
Tyres: Hutchinson Toro XC

Updated the spec sheet and updated the photos :cool:

Attachments

• marin9.jpg
    marin9.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 7,954
  • marin8.jpg
    marin8.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 7,954
  • marin7.jpg
    marin7.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 7,953
  • marin6.jpg
    marin6.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 7,954
I had the 1st generation Mt. Vision, same as this one, same cracks so swing arm changed to a later red one which happily matched the red Judy DH.

I wish I hadnt sold it. :roll:

Nice looking ride. I bought a 98 model new, but I never really gelled with it. I think I only used it for about 6 months before going back to a hardtail. I was doing quite a few miles on a road bike at the time, and couldn't really get on with the bounce when pedalling.
Are you still on the original shock? Mine lost it's rebound damping fairly quickly, but I imagine with a modern air shock the bike would ride pretty well. The design isn't that different to modern stuff like the Orange 5, which goes to show how right the design was at the time.

The original rear shock is still fitted, Fox Vanilla R, the rebound still works perfectly after all these years :cool:

Mine like yours is still on its original (shockworks :shock:) shock. I like your mixture, there's a touch of Heath Robinson about it.

When you get bored and want to sell me your swingarm...I'll shut up about my goddam swingarm.

I agree though, I'm surprised how much I like mine too, it was only meant to be a stopgap and I was going to transfer bits to the two ProFlex but I've ended up 'treating' it to some goodies. I've just got an airshock so I'll give that a go bit I might miss the plushness (of a shockworks...)

A few revisions

X-lite stem
X-lite seatpost clamp
X-lite QR's
Middleburn hardcoat middle chainring
XT M739 rear deraileur

sdc10417_w800_h600_571.jpg

Back