Ebay weirdness/fallibility??

rosstheboss

Retrobike Rider
I was watching some pedals on ebay on my pc last night, started watching tv, my gf asked to borrow the laptop, opened up another tab and also went into ebay in her account. This is where it gets weird. I got a message saying that the pedals were ending soon so went onto the tab with MY ebay open, made a bid and won the pedals.....only thing is it was on my gf's account and she wasn't watching them!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

It all seems pretty dodgy and also insecure on ebays part don't you think?!?!

You don't need to be watching an item to bid on it. You can only log in to one eBay account at a time on a given computer, so when your girlfriend logged in, she logged you out. Then when you went back to the tab for the pedal auction and bid, she was logged in, so you bid in her name. If you'd refreshed the auction page before bidding, you would have seen her user ID at the top of the page.

Seems reasonable to me.

The bit that I find weird is that the page I was looking at didn't change at all if you see what I mean - I had the pedals page open from when it was in my name - to be able to then switch users, bid and still not have the page automatically refresh seems a little strange...

Still, got the pedals I wanted so I'm not complaining too much! Just surprised at Ebay thats's all...

When you clicked the link "Bid" it would have checked for a valid log in (your girlfriends was valid) and it proceeded to the next step.

As one-eye had said, had you refreshed before bidding it would have shown the new person logged in. TBH I would have been surprised if it had done anything else.

As you say, at least you got your pedals :cool:

Just had to explain it to the gf...

"Another pair of pedals?!!? Why don't you ride your f*cking bike for a change!?!?!?" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back