Did they do R & D?

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
Back when i remember the days of all the cool kit. Like Grafton, Early Kleins, Trimbles to name just a few. They all had trouble with cracks & snapping :shock:
Why didn't they just do some R & D? If they did why wasn't it done properly? We know it makes sense :D

personally i think it was the fact that lots of these places were aerospace or automotive machines shops with work that was dropping off rapidly

they saw high strength materials get made into aircraft parts and just applied a bit of design thought and a bad material for the job

so the numbers might hold up but all the other little tricks for making good parts werent included due to lack of knowledge and well boom you have a part that looked good on paper but was a timebomb in terms of fatigue and component life

Sounds good

What also could have to do with it, is that proper bikes for jumping and that kind of stuff are widely available nowadays. Back than there was more or less only 1 bikeconcept to do it all. A bike we consider cross country bike nowadays.

stevet1":3p1m4vus said:
I guess R&D costs a lot and the forces involved in MTB'ing are probably quite varied.

I'm not sure I totally agree, when I was doing my engineering degree in the early 90s, some basic calculations made it obvious at the time that some stuff wasn't going to last very long.

I remember cranks being bent fairly often in the late 80s, so by the 90s I think it should have been sorted.

Elev12k":1wunznu2 said:
Sounds good

What also could have to do with it, is that proper bikes for jumping and that kind of stuff are widely available nowadays. Back than there was more or less only 1 bikeconcept to do it all. A bike we consider cross country bike nowadays.

Amen to that, another chance to post a pic of me learning to dirt jump on a 19" 3lbs Ti frame

although it makes me sad a little to see that nowadays people assume you need to buy a specific bike before even starting to get into a different area of MTB'ing.

Back