Coolwall - E-stays

Coolwall - E-stays

• Cool

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Funk cool,Yeti cool ,Brave cool ,Mantis cool ,,Nishiki cool ,Alpinestar cool ,Kestrel cool, Mr K's Roberts cool .Hmmm ! struggling to think of a e stay bike I dont like oh yeah! the Titan Half track

Cool Wall

Somebody asked why you don't see e stay bikes any more? I can't think of any current hardtail e stay bikes just now but the concept lives on in full sus guise with Orange, Commencal, Cannondale, Santa Cruz and Marin churning 'em out.

BITD I had my new Klein Attitude about 40 minutes when chain suck struck. It took several attempts to locate the cause [weak tension spring in the rear mech] by which time that perfect paint job and not a little aluminium were gone forever.

From that day on e stays for me represent function over form and so are definately cool.

Seems as one of the old boys, people are saying they don't get the point it was simples, we had loads of chain suck. It worked but went out when drive trains started to work better I vote cool

breezerfatty":3s23b9sd said:
Seems as one of the old boys, people are saying they don't get the point it was simples, we had loads of chain suck. It worked but went out when drive trains started to work better I vote cool

Agree with that. Up until the mid 90's chainsuck was a chronic problem that brought about varied 'solutions' like anti-chansuck devices and of course e-stays.
The real solution came with the improvement in drivetrains when the problem appeared to more or less disappear.

drystonepaul":2kob8fe3 said:
breezerfatty":2kob8fe3 said:

Agree with that. Up until the mid 90's chainsuck was a chronic problem that brought about varied 'solutions' like anti-chansuck devices and of course e-stays.
The real solution came with the improvement in drivetrains when the problem appeared to more or less disappear.

Chainsuck still happens with modern stuff,the only bike I never get it with is the SS,9spd is deffinatley less suseptable to it than 7/8spd though.

I just voted cool.

I hate chainsuck. Currently in the process of purchasing a modern Iron Horse MkIII with an elevated chainstay so I can retire the Y-33 - as mentioned there are plenty of other e-stay suspension bikes still being designed and built.

Even considered 'designing' and getting an elevated Ti hardtail build by a company like XACD in China - sacrilege?... but bought Ed's (Orange21) '94 Diamond Back Axis frame a while back as this year's project instead.

Back