Yearning for the 1st ride

Thank you

The pedals: They are 80s MKS Japan pedals. Of course there were toe-clips + straps fitted. Two Christophe toe-clips per side. A setup often seen on cyclo cross bicycles. I would assume they are original, as I have no reason to believe they aren't and they are of the same era. Maybe the Suntour VX mech is non original, as it is a bit an oddball with all other parts (bar MAFAC brakes) being Shimano and considering Shimano were material supplier for the team back in the day. On the other hand Suntour mechs are relatively spoken often spotted on cyclo cross bicycles, probably because they deliver reliable performance, especially under severe conditions.

Yesterday I did two rides actually. One on this Batavus and another two hours later on the Grove Hard Core. Because of the raised bottom bracket you would expect the Grove lends itself not so well for winter conditions, but it has tractor tyres fitted tyres and that sure helps on slippery slopes. On the 2nd ride conditions had dramaticly changed. Because of the many cyclists, walkers and so on, snow became much more compact and conditions more slippery and dangerous. Ate snow on several occasions during the ride on my local track. This was me on my way to the track, before eating snow >>>

4245923038_c45c47e03c_b.jpg

That is a top find, lovely looking bike but I can understand the lack of comfort with the shellac'd tape - must be quite an effective way of removing skin from your hands! Oh, and love the odd looking jockey wheels.

Is it me, or is the drop on the bars pretty deep?

Christophe made CX 'double' toe clips as a standard item. I made my own with a pop-rivetter.

Nice bike, what length stem do you want as a replacement? I have a 1A with a drilling for CP/canti brakes but not sure of the length.

ededwards":1wre1s81 said:
That is a top find, lovely looking bike but I can understand the lack of comfort with the shellac'd tape - must be quite an effective way of removing skin from your hands! Oh, and love the odd looking jockey wheels.

Is it me, or is the drop on the bars pretty deep?

Ed,

I didn't experience anything odd with the drop. Have to take a looks for it.

Tape: It is not that the tape cuts into my skin or whatever. It is the lack of padding that makes the tape not feel comfortable. To lack hoods do too. The levers itself are kinda squarish ...and my hands or not - of course

I managed to get hoods on today. Without removing the levers! Hoods were flexy enough to work them from the lever over the housing :) Good to not having to remove the levers, as it would have involved a risk for the original tape (the teambike on the 84 catalogue uses the same)

Old Ned":ypwcklkm said:
Christophe made CX 'double' toe clips as a standard item. I made my own with a pop-rivetter.

Nice bike, what length stem do you want as a replacement? I have a 1A with a drilling for CP/canti brakes but not sure of the length.

ON,

They are these toe clips I think. They have "Christophe Special" written on them.

The stem: I placed the bars a bit higher. Approx 1cm. Moreover the seat went 1.5cm forward. Hopefully it will contribute to a more relaxed position. I haven't ridden it with this setup yet, as I have done some major servicing on the bike last week (new balls + Motorex grease everywhere). It would be nice to be able to keep the original cockpit setup. Today I managed it to fit new hoods without taking levers off :)

Good to know you maybe have a solution for me when things wont work out as I'd hoped. Current stem length is 120mm.

Latest posts

Back