orange aluminium elite limited edition gold

Thats looking super Lush :cool: :cool: :cool: .. maybe the nicest Orange I have seen in a while....well apart from the ones at marks and spencers... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Oh yes Jon, coming together beautifully. I was thinking skinwalls but tbh the modern Panaracer tyres don't look bad at all and i'm also guessing it will be a rider :cool: .

yeah i'm really pleased with how it is coming along at the mo :D

as far as tyres go i'm happy to ride newer tyres, on all my builds, i know that might seem like an anti retro statement but they are better, they puncture less, they are easier to find and coz they haven't been sat in a cupboard for 20 years they haven't perished!! :LOL: also the prices shouldn't be stupid like for example white porcs etc. it's the same with rims, if i can't find brand new old rims i'll use the nearest modern equivalent, otherwise things like that hold up a build, and if i do find something old but used you can't gaurantee their condition, i'd hate to be out riding when an old rim peels away its sidewall. :shock:

i'll post some more pics of the m900/fir orange wheels and see what you guys think of those for this build when they are done. the hopes can always goin the kona.

Thanks for bumping this as saves me searching.
If you didn't think the Shimano thumbies as 8 speed felt right, then you may be disappointed with suntour thumbies, they're err, well Kona didn't continue with it. Not really designed for the job :LOL:

Shim it, to 7 speed, and pull the 13 or 14 tooth out of a 12-28 8 speed spidered cassette. Hope hubs came with a 7 speed spacer from what I've seen in all the pictures.

Or pull the indexing plate out of the Suntour and make a new one with the correct indexing positions (I have no idea where these would be).

Or since Suntour doesn't have a true friction shift (well unless they are worn), it is a semi friction position which is still indexed but allows intermediate friction positions. You may like that.

the suntour thumbie thing is more just to try it really, if it doesn't work very well i'll try somethingelse, so many options but i'd never used this one so i was curious really. it might end being a full xtr gearset, we'll see.

have a bit of a quandry!! :? :D

basically, wheels, i have 2 possible pairs to use in this bike now, hope on mavic 217 or m900 xtr on fir/orange rims.

what do you reckon?

i'm leaning towards changing out the hope 217's because another project might suit them better. also i have an xtr headset that would fit this so the xtr hubs would match, this would mean the bike would be a mainly xt/xtr mix

thoughts please! :D

Attachments

• xtr-orange wheels.jpg
    xtr-orange wheels.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 3,111
  • hope-mavic217.jpg
    hope-mavic217.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 3,111
well i assume you have seen the new p7 project thread, was thinking that the hope/217 wheels would be more in keeping with that frame. 217's being around 96, 97 etc. i know the fir rims were not used on the elite but what the hell.

Back