2008 Haro Mary XC 29'er

zigzag

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Santa decided I was a good boy last year!

DSC_2278.JPG

I've swapped out the mechanical Avid BB5 brakes or an old set of Tektro Aurigas I had kicking about. Also popped on a pair of NOS Haro grips that I'd bought for another project.

Initial impressions: Don't like the feel of the SRAM shifters or the look of the rear der (too used to Shimano I suppose). Also annoyed that the seat clamp doesn't have a QR :evil:

Anyway, haven't gotten out on it yet, but looking forward to seeing what the stooshie is with the 29'er wheels.

Always liked the look of these when we used to sell them in the shop

For some unknown reason I really liked the blue framed rigid single speed version (yes I am a weirdo)

Which Sram shifters are on it? (I much prefer X9 to Shimano XT)

Andy B":2tn92rux said:
Always liked the look of these when we used to sell them in the shop

For some unknown reason I really liked the blue framed rigid single speed version (yes I am a weirdo)

Which Sram shifters are on it? (I much prefer X9 to Shimano XT)
Totally agree with you about the blue single speed Andy, absolutely cracking. I thought about just getting the SS and splashing for a fork, but financially it didn't make sense.

Shifters are X7, rear der is X9. The levers seem a lot more intrusive than Shimano units, probably me just being a bit of a knobber about it though.

Kaiser, bringing the Rockhopper to Dunkeld, trying to be a good boy and keeping it retro. You're bringing the Kona, right?

zigzag":2apcxp0b said:
Shifters are X7, rear der is X9. The levers seem a lot more intrusive than Shimano units, probably me just being a bit of a knobber about it though.
Intrusive? if you mean what I think you mean, just move them inboard a bit I kept catching my thumb knuckle on mine until I moved em a bit.

X9 stuff is very good, it's worth upgrading the shifters to X9 if you do find that you can get on with Sram, the X9 (and X0) have zero loss travel, the shifting pawl is always engaged with Zero Loss Travel so the moment you push is the moment the shift starts.

Some folks just prefer Shimano though, I prefer the more positive action on Sram, plus they suffer from almost zero cable issues unlike the Shimano set ups I've run which required frequent cable adjustment & had quite a dislike of muddy cables.

Will most probably be modern at Dunkers, retrobikes are for more pleasant climes than we'll see up there. :)

FWIW I've found the SRAM stuff to be good but then again I'm really comparing with retro stuff. M950 was the most modern I had till I went X0/X9 on the Salsa.

Great bike!

Santa thought I'd been good too.....I got the blue Mary SS, it's lovely! :)

Cheers
Stu

:) Mmmmm, love the blue. If I wasn't tripping over single-speeds every time I go down into the basement, I'd have had that instead of the orange. Really does look great.

I'm liking the orange :)

I have the other problem, I'm tripping over geared bikes here, he he!

Cheers
Stu

Back