Coolwall - E-stays

Coolwall - E-stays

• Cool

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I got into MTB in'9s2, and I guess it was the tail end of e-stays... and they were kinda cool, but it was like, wow! thats really awes... er oh full suspension, now THATS cool (even though they were rubbish), and so the coolness of then never bit me and I can only think of them as kinda oddball

rienster":10zdyh6n said:
Very cool. I understand why you don't see them anymore today, but BITD I really fancied the ones by Haro, Koga Myata and Cycletech. If I remember correctly the Cycletech was only elevated on the drive side. Anyone have a picture of one of these?

what do you mean you don't see them around anymore?

img_0721_188.jpg

Caramba Kid":2rn28rfc said:
Cool

My latest aquisition :cool:
Coolness thats off the scale.

Now Caramba Kid, where did you get that from? Looks beautiful and with the ti forks too :shock:

You make sure you get in touch if you ever consider selling it!

Definitely cool for me!

After seeing Mantis and Nishiki bikes in the haloed pages of MBA, I bought my first mtb, which had elevated chainstays. Although I'm faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too embarrassed to disclose the brand, something must have clicked because here I am still obsessed with bikes! :LOL:

Right, been thinking about this and although some of them are very very cool the fact that they seemed to be a style over function fad and they became the default design for BSO's in the mid '90's (much like the Y frame full sussers are now) I have to vote uncool.

Would still have a day-glow Alpinestars though. ;)

I'm a little confused by those claiming the design has no benefits and was just a fad. Have you fellas never ridden one in proper conditions? The rear grip levels are just out of this world compared to a conventional designed bike, no chain slap and acceleration levels that make riding a joy.

Only downsides are they are potentially more flexy at the BB, but this does not affect them all. For examole my Dyna-Tech is more flexy at the BB than any of my cro-megas. And the shorter wheelbase ones are twitchy on the downhills, but for the seconds you'll lose on the downhills you'll make up in minutes on the climbs and in the technical areas.

Since discovering Retrobike, I've discovered cool e-stay bikes, solving a problem that didnt exist, madness but cool. Never new they existed before but as most were mid to high end or just plain rare they didn't pass through my budget RADAR :roll:

For me - cool!
And I think this frame/bike have to be showed in this topis!
(it's not mine - unfortunetly :cry: )
1045Scott_Evo_Alu.jpg

e-stay cool

ive not yet owned a mtb with this style of frame yet,im going with
cool on looks alone.e-stay gives the frame a dynamic edge(visually atleast).
i once thought it was an alpinestars exclusive feature! then,i discovered RetroBike and found this on saracen,nishiki,plus more.above all e-stay is a retro thing for me. :cool: ;)

Back