1989 Cannondale M900 'Red Shred' - FINISHED!

Hi mate, Thanks for the compliment,

The bike is indeed an SM900 'red shred' as seen the page taken from the 1989 cannondale brochure on page 1 of this thread........ The 3.0 series decal is original as can be seen on the photo. The bike had a sloping top tube and high bottom bracket, kind of a predecessor to the beast of the east frames of the 90's.............. why the confusion mate?

Hi Fenton,

Thanks for your reply. Red - Shreds are very scarce.

Confusion is I have never seen a series 3 frame with that type of rear
drop-outs. i always thought series 3 frame had the replaceable ones.

thnks

Confusion is I have never seen a series 3 frame with that type of rear
drop-outs. i always thought series 3 frame had the replaceable ones

Have a peek at the 1989 brochure here mate:

http://www.vintagecannondale.com/catalog.html

Think that 1989 was the last year of non replaceable dropouts and the first year of 3.0 series.......

It's the only one I've ever seen in the flesh to be honest.........

The 3.0 series appeared in 89, with 2 models : level and sloping. The red Shred was sloping.
But the shifted rear drop out with replace derailleur hanger appeared in 1990 ;-)

I've just bought some silver Cannondale/Answer Hyperlite bars to go on the 'red shred' for the time being..... These are the same bars that were standard equipment on the 1991 Cannondale SE1000 I used to own so I know they are a couple of years away from being period correct but I am desperate to get this finished and I can't wait much longer for a suitable vintage black bar! So these will go on for now. They are basically an Answer Hyperlite with a Cannondale logo on too, especially for fitting to bikes as OE, so they're pretty nice!

Here is a photo (courtesy of frostorama, cheers mate!)

Hyperlite.jpg

I'll get it fitted as soon as it arrives.... can't wait to get this finished now!

Fenton

Have the bars arrived yet? and sorry for the packaging; my wife went a bit overboard with the tape!

I am looking forward to seeing your ride complete.

Cheers

Dan

A quick update.....

Sorry for the terrible photos, they were done on my phone.

The bars have arrived and are lovely, they won't be a permanent feature as this bike needs black bars, but fitting them has alowed me to bring the bike a bit closer to completion and fit the NOS grab-on's, Deore XT brake levers and thumb shifters and some of the cables.......

RedShred0049.jpg

RedShred0048.jpg

I've also fitted an NOS Deore DX post as a temporary measure until I can source a NOS black Deore XT one in 27.2 for a reasonable price!

RedShred0046.jpg

RedShred0047.jpg

I've been offered the perfect front mech, so all that's really needed to finish is the elusive turbo saddle!

I know it needs black bars and post but I am not having much joy finding them and I want to get this a bit closer to being finished! Let me know what you all think!

Back