Orange Dynamo- yes again...

Would this not be called something other than a Dynamo? My Dynamo is Aluminium and has significant design differences (aside from the material). I'm sure there was another road bike before the dynamo made from steel..

D_XZ":3bvs5aeo said:
Would this not be called something other than a Dynamo? My Dynamo is Aluminium and has significant design differences (aside from the material). I'm sure there was another road bike before the dynamo made from steel..

Yep you are right- This predates the Dynamo and is in actually a custom steel frame. (There were a number of 'one off' steel frames made- some by Orange some by various builders for Orange. I have had conversations with Orange and they were unable to confirm who made this one.)

Attachments

• Orange Formula w drops.jpg
    Orange Formula w drops.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 559
  • Orange Formula.jpg
    Orange Formula.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 559
  • Orange Formula rigid.jpg
    Orange Formula rigid.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 559
CTK":24cvkrat said:
Back for sale again... It just isn't going to get built as I have too much other stuff going on- (my Harry Quinn needs rebuilding & is currently being resprayed by Dave Yates, I have a modern ish Italian frame that needs Campagging out and to top it all I'm chucking it all in and going backpacking this April!)

My apologies to this rather lovely frame, it deserves better.

ST: 50cm C2C and 57cm C2T
TT: 56cm C2C and 57cm Effective

I have been in touch with Orange and though they were very helpful in all honesty they couldn't give me any info on it- I was a bit disheartened by this but then traced the frames history back through its Retrobike owners.

& the original owner Andy Harris (his name is stamped on the BB) said this in an email to i-am-iron-man who was the 2nd owner.

"I met Steve Wade the co founder of Orange at a MTB race in the early 1990's and we got talking about road bikes (I'm a roadie at heart). He was thinking about building road bikes as he liked training on the road. I wanted a road bike like the "compact" orange MTB frames, he was dying to build one so I think I gave him the excuse. He wanted the extended seat tube to save weight...note how the new frames (Trek, giant) now have this. He was thirty years ahead of the game!! As far as I know (I can't prove it) this was the first orange road bike! It was black because I wanted black and I remember Steve's wife saying all bikes look good in black!? He was really helpful and we even had a mini tour of his factory in Halifax. I'll always have a soft spot for orange! It has a frame no. OD33 on the bottom and my name. The 33 refers to nothing so it is definitely not number 33!"

The frame is in very good condition and includes a Campag headset. The only problem I can see is some paint flaking off under the chainstay brace.

F&F and headset £160 posted.

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

Great frame. Good luck on your travels, anywhere exotic? ;)

Yep frame is sold (to LeGrandeFromage)

As for travels - a bit of backpacking round Europe including watching a bit of TdF, walking coast to coast in this country and various other bits and bobs hopefully ending up in Greece towards the end of the year. Can't wait! :D

Back