Coolwall - Thumbshifters

Coolwall - Thumbshifters

• cool

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The Ken":1fbwlbva said:
I think Retrobike (and thumbies) are cool, but my wife and a few pals think it is sad geeky nonsense that I get far too excited about.
Such a good point - a lot of the things that we rant and rave about being cool, anybody external to this would think it's nothing more than some internet geeks talking about Star Trek.

Which goes back to one of the things I've always said about the concept of "cool" it's more than simply what enthusiasts think is cool.

Neil":2ks89dat said:
Which goes back to one of the things I've always said about the concept of "cool" it's more than simply what enthusiasts think is cool.

Going a bit OT here, but I think I have to disagree with that.
Cycling is still a niche interest, and retro is even more of a niche within that.
Part of the fun in getting a bit geeky about a subject is the idea of being able to share knowledge and discuss things with like-minded people.

In terms of the concept of 'cool', I wouldn't necessarily value the opinion of somebody who knows nothing about cycling in this context.
Like my dad for instance. If I showed him a pair of XT thumbies and asked him if he liked them or not, he wouldn't have any frame of reference with which to make a decision.
Similarly a shiney new dual-suspension BSO might be considered cool by an ill informed 12 year old, when we all know that they are awful.

Personally I hate the whole concept of coolness.
In the words of Kurt Cobain;
"I'd rather be dead than cool"

That's my 2p

drystonepaul":2j6t8fv1 said:
Neil":2j6t8fv1 said:
Going a bit OT here, but I think I have to disagree with that.
Cycling is still a niche interest, and retro is even more of a niche within that.
Part of the fun in getting a bit geeky about a subject is the idea of being able to share knowledge and discuss things with like-minded people.

In terms of the concept of 'cool', I wouldn't necessarily value the opinion of somebody who knows nothing about cycling in this context.
Like my dad for instance. If I showed him a pair of XT thumbies and asked him if he liked them or not, he wouldn't have any frame of reference with which to make a decision.
Similarly a shiney new dual-suspension BSO might be considered cool by an ill informed 12 year old, when we all know that they are awful.

Personally I hate the whole concept of coolness.
In the words of Kurt Cobain;
"I'd rather be dead than cool"

That's my 2p
Don't get me wrong, I often think the concept is so frivolous and banal - but all the same, just as the average joe probably believes that a bunch of nerds discussing Star Trek on usenet ain't cool, largely most of the things that we obsess about, or proclaim - in our loudest, Sunday-best, voice - as cool, the average person would think as equally nerdy as the hypothetical Star Trek nerds.

Now sure - a load of internet enthusiasts can gather, feverishly discuss something, and damned well shout from the mountain tops that it's cool - but that don't make it so. "cool" (whether abhorred as a term, or loved) is only so, when it transcends any enthusiasts, but pervades to those beyond.

Don't mistake my understanding of that, though, to be somewhat of an advocate of it - largely I couldn't care less whether something is cool, or not - I just find the discussions of it amusing at times.

I've struggled with this one mainly because i've never really used them, but fully appreciate the retroness and affiliation with bitd. Not sure I would call them cool though.
They're more of an essential component and part of something that helped enable the early bikes venture offroad.. with innovation soon followed in the form of more ergonomic STI under bar shifters. Couldn't see me getting on with anything less now unless a bike warranted thumbies because of it's age.

They are the Kurt Kobain in that they will never die and they'll never be understated neither. Instead played a huge part spawning predecessors in their wake.
To me they shout retro coolness.... but cool as a whole? No

Back