MOT failure rates

before I even read the rest of the page, I have to remind everybody that a vehicle can fail an MOT for a wiper blade or blown bulb, or a crack in the windscreen.

Also places that offer cheap MOT's like 20 quid are usually more likely to fail and then either charge for a retest or charge for the work needs to be done.

Last week the mrs' 1991 205GTi passed first time :D
I do look after the cars myself though, so usually they are spot on.

Looking at that list says much more about the owners rather than the cars. Transit connect, battered by builders / delivery drivers with high mileage etc. Corolla, mailny owned by elderly people, who do little mileage and service their cars regularly. Some cars are much more common, like the 206, 307, so they will feature higher.

MOT2004vehicles.jpg

I'm astonished that the Corsa is one of the worst offenders. Mine was bought by my dad in 1996, and I bought it off him in 2006, when I sold my good car (my mum had cancer, it paid for a really nice last Christmas for her) . I was expecting some shonky old banger, but I had all the service history and knew it personally, from 1996 to when I sold it last year:

2 Batteries
1 Exhaust
1 Cam belt
1 Selector rod
1 Speedo
5 Tyres
Mileage: 130,000
Total number of roadside failures: 0

Brilliant bit of engineering, even when I sold it the thing went like a new car!

Some old fella in Devon owns it now, he got a bargain.

I'm with LGF, I reckon the failure rate is indicative of how well various car owners look after their cars.

Stands to reason that higher mileage vehicles are more likely to fail ie transits and the micra that only does 1000 miles a year will pass with flying colours. We've got a 52 plate transit in work can't remember exactly what engine but its a diesel. Its done about 280,000 miles. Fails the MOT every year but never costs a fortune to fix.

Can't believe Merc doesn't feature in there somewhere. My boss had an 04 E class until very recently. What a shed :shock:

Re: .

Grannygrinder":10bdobxc said:
Can't believe Merc doesn't feature in there somewhere. My boss had an 04 E class until very recently. What a shed :shock:

doesnt mean to say it will fail its MOT!

My Passat is cack but it passes its MOT everytime.

Well, my Vectra sailed through last Thursday.

Took it to MOT Max, one of those places that only do MOT and dont charge if it fails......thought they'd be more honest than a garage who'd go looking for faults :cool:

i have 2 mates that run garages that dont do mot's. when they get a car in they both adopt the same strategy. guick check over, take for mot, see what it fails on, retest in the afternoon. pass mot

those statistics really mean nothing (or everything, depending how you want to read them).

it also doesnt say these are the percentages of cars that have to be scrapped because they are so bad they will never pass. like mentioned above, blown 50p bulb. fail. car could be perfect but have a dodgy spaced number plate. fail.

lets face it, its far far easier for a car to fail than to pass

forgot to mention, i hate statistics at the best of times but government statistics are in a league of their own, so say 23% of the uk

Back