Syncros Revolution Steel Cranks - The Restoration

I have acquired a set if revos and I can hear the rust rattling around inside. I'm not super worried about it, but perhaps if I get them repainted and restored I might consider following a path similar to what you have done with your red ferrari syncros cranks.

I'm curious about your rust removal technique. You said that you drilled a hole in the crank arm to pour out the rust dust? Can you describe/show where you drilled. How big of a hole? After the rust converter procedure did you seal up your patient or just leave it open?

classen":3r02g4a0 said:
I'm curious about your rust removal technique. You said that you drilled a hole in the crank arm to pour out the rust dust? Can you describe/show where you drilled. How big of a hole? After the rust converter procedure did you seal up your patient or just leave it open?

you can see the hole on the right crank in this pic:
syncros-revos-2.jpg

the little round hole near the square taper.
the reason i did it there is, that its way easier to drill into the aluminium insert than the steel crank itself. apart from that its the place which causes the least structural weakening afaik.
i forgot what i used to seal the holes but i think it was some kind of glue :)

How big a drill bit did you use? And was it a any specific type of drill bit?

Lastly, I'm guessing you had to drill it at an angle inward, right?

RockiMtn":23adftwv said:
How big a drill bit did you use? And was it a any specific type of drill bit?

Lastly, I'm guessing you had to drill it at an angle inward, right?
hmmmm, good question. i don't remember :oops: but it surely helps to use a metal specific drill.
yes, i drilled inwards.

I guess the aluminum inserts are glued into the steel cranks. As far as i know, the glue can withstand temperatures of max 180 °C, 200°C only for a very short time.

Powder is burnt in at above 200°C

I would not take the risk of powdercoating and respray them instead.

Or am i just bad informed?

Tommi74":1hdixodz said:
I guess the aluminum inserts are glued into the steel cranks. As far as i know, the glue can withstand temperatures of max 180 °C, 200°C only for a very short time.

Powder is burnt in at above 200°C

I would not take the risk of powdercoating and respray them instead.

Or am i just bad informed?
no you are totally right. i was lucky!
i would highly recommend against powder coating Revos!

Well, it is not only the glue that keeps it from spinning, as these X-rays show.

However, you don´t want it to fall out.

SyncrosRevolutionVierkantaufnahme.jpg

Back