1990 Marin Eldrige Grade - updated WIP pix

mechagouki

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just arrived today - here's how it looked out of the box.............

side.jpg

front.jpg

seattube.jpg

rear.jpg

The decals are actually neon pink - it doesn't show too well in pix. Even has a pink "Tange Oversized" decal on the drive side seatstay. Got interesting plans for this bike - watch this space.

Watches with interest :)

With referance to your frame number question, your frame looks identical (but bigger) to mine, even has the cable routing on the left side of the top tube (which seems to vary somewhat with more of them being on the right) - suits a right hand rear brake as you don't get any cable rub :)

Are the welds super tidy ?

WD :)

Despite what the majority of this site seems to think I think early Marins are cool so I'll look forward to seeing what you've got in store for your Eldridge. ;) :D

WD Pro":3pygriml said:
Watches with interest :)

With referance to your frame number question, your frame looks identical (but bigger) to mine, even has the cable routing on the left side of the top tube (which seems to vary somewhat with more of them being on the right) - suits a right hand rear brake as you don't get any cable rub :)

Are the welds super tidy ?

WD :)

Well the M90 at the start of our frame numbers would make sense for 1990 Marin bikes. I think the main differences between my frame and yours are the 1 1/8th headtube (not on BV until late 1991 (a-b stays)), and the Tange MTB OS tubeset, which as far as I know just meant a larger diameter seat tube and top tube - seat tube seems to be in the 29 - 30mm ID range - I have a 29.2 in it at the moment but it's a little loose. Welds are nice - as they have been on every Marin I've owned.

The paint actually has a lot of what I think of as 'Kona' chips - small round chips to the metal that Konas are notorious for. There's a part of me that just wants to strip it, paint it pale grey and throw a set of 1990 pine Mountain decals on it (same frame I think), but the green splatter is so 1990 I think I would feel guilty about removing it. I guess I could just dribble some black paint over the worst chips.

i say if the paint scheme does it for you, keep it as is and touch it up as much as possible. especially since you have the matching stem and bar!

On its (borrowed) wheels, the start of my nostalgia project - back in 1991 I had a Zolatone Bear Valley, and I loved it, but it was a little bland, and what I really wanted was an Eldridge Grade or Pine Mountain, with their fat tubes and neon parts they just screamed Norcal-cool to my uneducated eyes.

And what I really really wanted was an EG or PM with a Girvin Flexstem, grey-anodized rims and a full DX group (I came from BMX, so DX just seemed cooler than XT to me back then).

The years passed and I was corrupted by bling and the desire for a sub 25lb bike, I did own at least 2 Eldridge Grades, one of them a pale grey Zolatone with full DX, though never a Pine, and never a Flexstem. Nearly two decades later I decided that I would set things straight.

Fortunately nearly 50% of people don't think Marins are cool - go figure. Probably because of this I was able to pick up a fairly funky 1990 EG frame/fork for very little $$$ (shipping and duty was more than price of frame).

I already had a 140mm Flexstem and have been picking up DX bits here and there, and that's where I am now. And you know what, even with a sub 22lb titanium bike and my $3000+ full sus non-retro in the same room, I get a real kick out of looking at this bike - it reminds me of how much fun MTBing was before I became a snob. can't wait to ride it!

sideon.jpg

Still not sure about that seat - no spare Flites at the moment though........

front2-1.jpg

Paint matched bars are heavy as hell, but too cool not to use - have to keep reminding myself this build is not about weight!

Finally a picture of my 'mancave' - it's secret subterranean location known to only one other RB member - it's all good fun until you have to find something.......

kaos.jpg

Very refreshing Marin, nice to see some bold colours, I think it will build up very nice :cool:

And yes I am very jealous of that mancave!

Lovely paint and looking forward to seeing this done.

As a suggestion on saddle, have you considered a period Turbo or Avocet R20?

Back