Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Easy_Rider":591i1wxw said:
Where are all the entries chaps? I'm frantically putting the Traverse back together.

What are you going to enter Gravy, the Trekker or Conquest?

Good Question ! but for me it will be the one that started this thread and is closest to my heart - The Trekker Hydotech, I have cleaned it this am and have just returned from a frosty ride with my boys in the sunshine on it with some "cold off the press" pics on my camera. Will get uploading now........ after a coffee if thats ok with you :LOL:

Had a quick blast on the Traverse. So much smoother now it's all been stripped cleaned and polished, taken a while. The last thing it needs is some new juice for the maguras, the travel seems quite long and it's on its maximum adjustment with newish pads.

Steering is slooow with that huge stem, but still a fun ride!

SNC13144.JPG

Dilemma

I'm in the horns of a dilemma, as I feel I should put something into the Saracen BOTM since we have been honoured with the chance, but have two contenders that are compromised as regards to their retro-ness due to the fact that they are used.

I have my owned-from-new 89 Tufftrax that has had the Biopace chainset replaced with a round one (only this year) and sports v-brakes, albeit ones that must be 15 years old. And mudguards and a rack that I could remove, but feel that would compromise the hard-working ethos of the bike for mere show.

I have another 89 Tufftrax in a larger frame size, that has cantis and a Biopace chainset, and I've replaced the fitted STI shifters with thumbies the same as my other one. However the retro-ness here is compromised by the big ITM quill stem being replaced by an Aheadstem adapter and ITM low-rise stem to give me the ideal riding position.

So the bigger one is more retro, but the story of the first bike is better as it has been everywhere with me over the last 20 years.

I don't think either has any chance of winning, so maybe I should just plump for my old favourite and hope that nobody says anything nasty about it!

Mudguards, rack-light mounts are never popular in BoTM to be honest. Some like the story that goes with the bike, but at the end of the day it is about showing your bike off in it's best light.

I never expect to win and i'm chuffed if i even receive one vote!

Come on chaps, and chapesses, the Saracen BOTM thread is a bit moribund. I'm waiting on a part myself, but intend to submit even a tatty one just to show the love.

Not sure if this should go in a new thread or not but could someone let me know the rough hierarchy of early to mid saracen bikes?

I.e.

Kili range
Terra Trax
Ruff Trax
Hard Trax
Traverse
Sahara

If not possibly just ignore me :LOL:

Oh, and get some more in Saracen in The Month people!

Back