Orange C16 Suspension fork questions

thd

Retro Newbie
Hi,
I recently got a C16 and after a couple of hard (for me anyway) rides I reckon I'd like suspension on the front - I could hardly focus on a couple of descents as my eyes were bouncing so much and my wrists took a real battering.
As it's a 1" steerer my options are limited but I've just got a set of Manitou IIIs from ebay (dated around '95) which should do the job BUT....
I want to keep the bike reasonably original so wondered whether it is frowned on to put suspension on a rigid bike and what are people's opinions of the Manitous? My research suggest they may be difficult to find parts for.
I also will need to get a new aheadset and stem, what are appropriate ones for the '96 date of the bike and should I get a similar reach and angle or go for a shorter one than present on the rigid fork? (Currently STX RC threaded headset and Orange SK8 140mm stem )
Thanks in advance.

Nothing to be frowned upon about front suspension on an Orange IMO. Ideally you'd want to fit Pace forks, but as Orange themselves spec'ed Manitous as an option on later bikes, i think you'll be ok with your III's ;)

EDIT: Just check that the new Manitous don't jack up the front of the bike and throw the geometry all out of kilter. (I was gonna make a new post to add this, but as i like the comment under my username so much, i may never add a new post again)

agreed, my personal preference is for orange to be equiped with pace forks. But then my opinion usually extends to all bikes should be equipped with pace forks.

it is nice to have a Yorkshire frame running on Yorkshire forks though.

just got my self a set of pace rc35's for my c16-r and im loving them

before

bike.jpg

after

bike%203.jpg

Looks sweet! keep em lubed and they will last you :)

Ive just about finished my 1998 Orange 02 build, and am seriouslyu looking forward to taking it out for the first time at the weekend. I am jumping the gun a little, i havnt got a front mech for it yet, nor any shifters, so ive set it up as a bodged single speed for the time being, im that desperate to give it a go!

The orange is currently sharing a pair of Long travel 1998 RC36 (the ones with the gold coloured ti-nitrate coated stancheons) previously found propping up the front end of my rocky.

My marin has 1994 RC35 AB's

And I have a pair of 1997 RC36 that need a lot of work doing on them lined up to put on the Orange full time...just need to send them off for a quote to fix.

...Pace forks just do it for me :)

Yep, I've got RC35s on my Clockwork (which looks a lot like your C-16 - satin black) and RC36s on my Vit T2.
Oranges suit Pace forks!
:cool:

Back