Rabobank Master new pics 15/6/10

tonynotrabago":1igimbw1 said:
Should be an ex-probike looking at the headtube

Would also be interested at what is different about the headtube.

Also wonder if there were many 6'5" pros who rode for Rabobank?

I agree about the shamals... The only problem is they are 16h hubs (slotted for aero spokes) and most 'regular' rims are more... and apparently the 8 sp cassette wont fit on newer hubs... Grrr...

Wheelnut, your 'nago was beautiful, you must have been gutted :(

fingers":1gob10pr said:
I agree about the shamals... The only problem is they are 16h hubs (slotted for aero spokes) and most 'regular' rims are more... and apparently the 8 sp cassette wont fit on newer hubs... Grrr...

Wheelnut, your 'nago was beautiful, you must have been gutted :(

Fingers... the 8-speed Campag stuff is getting hard to find but I think I'm right in saying that you could use a 9-speed hub and cassette with the 8-speed Ergo levers and adjust the rear mech to suit, using the lower 8 ratios. Who needs an 11-tooth sprocket anyway unless your name's Lance Armstrong. The cog spacing for 8 and 9 speed is the same so the indexing still works fine. A decent Record or Chorus 9sp wheelset should be easy enough to source.

I would strongly recommend using a 32 or 36 spoke wheelset for strength, reliability and light weight. Those 16-spoke rims are almost impossible to true if they go well out of line.

I was certainly gutted when my Colnago was stolen, but at least it is replaceable. Sadly, the thieving b*st*rds also took my concours 1955 Gillott which holds sentimental value as it was once my Dad's. :cry:

I now keep my best bikes in the bedroom and an iron bar beneath the bed! :evil:

Hmmm, the rear wheel does need a bit of a true...

I was going to see how it runs for a bit then look into my options... If I go 9 sp I will change the ergo levers... I did some research and have found velocity deep v rims still available in 16h... (probably not the best for my build though...)

Thats awful about your bikes, was it recent??

(update to the bike - awaiting record headset, new ITM bar to match ITM colnago stem, blue/black tyres, colnago bar tape)

fingers":14ufpabo said:
(update to the bike - awaiting record headset, new ITM bar to match ITM colnago stem, blue/black tyres, colnago bar tape)

Good plan. It's the detailing that makes the difference between a good build and an exceptional one.

As for my stolen bikes, it happened summer before last. Gone but not forgotten.

Yes, its currently got a nitto old school bar on it... So I have bought a nice ITM carbon/alu that will hide the ergo cables...

I have gone for blue bar tape and blue tyres to bring out the blue at the bottom of the frame and hopefully be a good balance to the orange.

I think I will just run the wheels to death and keep my eye out for a set of 8 sp campagnolo hubs with 32 or 36 sp drillings.

I could drill the record 16h hubs I suppose, but I would worry about fractures at such a critical point...

(and Im all for security on the beloved bikes - only 2 live in the garage, the rest live indoors... :oops: )

16 H Shamals are at least as strong as 32h "standard" wheels- have only ever seen 1 busted rim

8 speed Campag hubs are still pretty easy to come by- i have several sets if you need some, but they do pop up on ebay regularly................

Andy

Back