'91 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue

Arran

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
About 5 yeas ago I picked up a 'beat-up' '91 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue with an M732 groupset which sat in my 'to-do' pile for what seemed like forever... until recently. I got the frame& fork professionally re-painted (gloss white) & had some decals made up for it. I added an almost NOS M900 groupo, which is not technically period correct (only missed by 1 year). Here's the finished bike:

shogun1.jpg

shogun2.jpg

shogun3.jpg

Frame: Shogun prairie Breaker Team Issue, 18". Tange Prestige CrMo.

Fork: Shogun 1 1/8" threaded unicrown. Tange Prestige CrMo.

Headset: M901 (NOS)
Stem: Nishiki Tange Prestige (NOS)
Handlebar: Sakae Power Bulge Ti
Grips: Zero lock-on, white
Barends: N/A

Brakes: M900 cantis
Brake Pads: M900
Brake Cables: XTR
Cantilever cable hangers: M900
Brake Levers: M900 (STI)

Shifters: M900 (STI)
Front Derailleur: M900 34.9 (NOS, with shims down to 28.6)
Rear Derailleur: M900
Derailleur Cables: XTR
Cassette: M900 12-32
Chain: 8 speed Dura-Ace
Cranks: M900 175mm,
Crank Bolts: M900
Chainrings: M900, 26, 36, 46 rings
Chainring bolts: M900
Bottom Bracket: UN-91, 68/107
Pedals: M737

Hub Skewers: M900
Rims: Ritchey Vantage Comp, 32h
Hubs: M900 32h
Nipples: DT Brass
Spokes: DT Competition, silver
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke (2.0) & Dart (2.1) Comp kevlar
Tubes: Panaracer

Saddle: Vetta TT SL, Manganese rails, leather cover
Seatpost: M730, 26.8
Seatpost Binder: Ritchey
Extras: XT Sharksfin (NOS)

Weight: 25.5lb

Here's an image I pulled off the 'net' which shows what the bike originally looked like:

camoshogun.jpg

That really looks super clean.

Odd brand shogun, never quite been able to pin down their history.

Bike looks stunning mate, well build. Forgive my ignorance but don't know too much about brand, do you have any informations?

Nice that....my mate had one BITD...not sure if it was the exact model..he always had slightly offthebeat makes...he certainly thought it was an excellent machine..

I think the local bikeshop used lowerend models as rentals..before switching to Ridgeback and then Kona..which i think they still use...

Other than that i know nothing about them either.

Still nice though... :)

very nice "clean" build :cool: :cool:

also i like the sound of the "to do" pile, what else is in there? :D

sweet

Lovely clean looking ride :cool:

I had the same years P.Breaker Pro with full DX and smattered with Tioga parts.

They ride well too ;)

Radoslaw":2jq6h5sn said:
Bike looks stunning mate, well build. Forgive my ignorance but don't know too much about brand, do you have any informations?

Thanks for the positive feed-back Guys.

Shogun is a Japanese Brand (as the name suggests) that started producing domestically hand-made MTB's around '87 (correct me if i'm wrong, im sure you will...) and moved into Road Bikes about 1990. They are credited with being the first Company to utilize the 'tripple triangle GT is famous for. It was on their '88 Prairie Breaker series frames.

Shogun still have a presence in the Australasian Market (not sure about anywhere else) but have unfortunately gone the way of a lot of early MTB/Road Bike manufacturers and now just bang out 'cookie-cutter' models, mainly cheap alloy MTB's & Carbon Roadies.

I'm also working on an '88 Prairie Breaker Team with a black/red/chrome tripple triangle frame, 1" fork etc. It's also made of Tange Prestige (my favourite frame material :) )

Looks like the Prairie Breaker might have a chance to bring the BOTM title Down Under (for the first time too?).

My first MTB was a PB. Used it all the time during my time at Hallam Uni; even sprayed it in my Uni halls bedroom! Still have it, albeit not built at the mo'. It is a great frame with geometry ahead of its time. After many bikes, it's still probably the one I will always keep no matter what.. Not sure what year it is, but it came with the Shimano cantis that were really wide (and black), maybe an '91?

Back