Parkpre Pro825 SS - Dead before it was even finished :-(

I wouldn't be using that myself, it's cracked nearly half way around the tube. The crack will only grow slowly up to a point - eventually there won't be enough material to hold the front on and it'll break suddenly. This is a common cause of "just riding along" breakages - the damage was already there, the frames just happen to let go during fairly innocuous riding.

It's not welding or heat that cracks frames, it's using them ;-)

If you strip the paint around the weld area, I'm pretty sure a decent welder with a Tig set could put you a wider bead over existing one for not a lot of money. But if it was mine I would park it up until repaired just in case.

If you have any doubt at all, I can't be sure from the photos, stick some fluid (lube) into the hole in the head tube through to the top tube and see if it comes out of the crack.

On a thin tube set like this i would always expect the tube to go before the weld esp with the quality of weld on most Parkpre s

I am not convinced that is a crack - it looks like a pronounced edge at the weld toe - see:

http://www.weldguru.com/SMAWNomenclatureandJoints.html

ideally you would try and do a penetrant test on it (where you clean it, spray on a dye, leave it a while then wipe it off and then spray a developer on it. If there is a crack the dye will have been drawn into the crevice by capilliary action and then leach out and show up on the developer).

That will give you a definate answer rather than a bunch of people squinting at a blown up pic!!

If you want to give that a go let me know and I will see if there are any cans going spare at work (its pretty expensive stuff so you wouldn't want to have to buy it).

Cheers

Adrian

Great advice, kaiser did the very dye test on my cracked dale which I then got fixed so would advise you to do the same.

Absolutly gutted. This project was never finished to how i wanted it due to constant budget constraits, so many things i wanted for it, but I used it nevertheless. I put that crack to the back of my mind and continued using it as it such a fun bike to ride, until today I decided to have another look. The crack has got longer and the worst bit, there is a hairline crack in the downtube section now as well.

So i've stripped it down this afternoon awaiting a day when i have a bit more of a budget :cry: :cry:

Here it is getting worse. I used touch up paint after chipping it before and it's clearly a crack behind the weld. This would be caused by local case hardening due to the heat of the original welding and it's exactly where you would expect a crack to be.

Second picture showing the new crack on the underside of the downtube.

Attachments

• SNC13320.JPG
    SNC13320.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 742
  • SNC13319.JPG
    SNC13319.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 742
Just read your thread:

Holy shit - looks lika a crack to me. Dye pen might corfirm this. Local weld repair shoud be enough though.

Look like its worth it though - good luck with the project.

Back