Apache's are just cool aren't they?

mig_25a_912.jpg

Blinkin' Nora :!:

JS1500":2ni2rn6u said:
I work for a helicopter company but unfortunately i've never seen an Apache in the flesh (apart from at an air-museum).
My workmates told me that there were a couple that were at our base one day (before I started working there), I think they were refuelling, apparently they were awesome in there matte grey paint.

We did just buy three of these though:
S92.jpg

Not as cool as an Apache but i'll be getting a flight in one soon. :D

Looks a bit like the new navy NH90 or a Royal Navy Merlin .
But this indeed is frightning:
LongbowApache.jpg

When you see this, you know you're f*c*d

It's a Sikorsky S92.

I've been writing/adapting/updating the manuals for it for the last few months.
Our first one just came out of the paintshop and it's HUGE.

I have to say the foxbat is seriously impressive, although surely the russians could have come up with a better name... :oops:

mojo":3lfty5sg said:
I have to say the foxbat is seriously impressive, although surely the russians could have come up with a better name... :oops:

The russians didn't come up with that name, that a NATO name. All (russian) fighter names start with F.
Like Flanker, Fulcrum, Flogger, Foxhound.

Bombers start with: B
Badger, Bear

And Helicopters you'll guess: H
Halo, Hind, Helix, Hormone

And more like those names, for missiles and stuff.

Whilst on the subject... Watched the Euro fighter do its stuff at Shoreham airshow last summert !!! Feckin awesome kit and so it should be for the price!!!

Where can I get one of those babys ???

Del

There are some videos on you tube of the most recent incarnation of the Mig 29 doing it's thing... The coolest thing is it has 'vectored jets', the thrust end of the engine not only narrows and opens (like the american ones do) but also pivot about 30 degrees for some seriously tight turns!

Oh! LTS biker is entirely correct about NATO code names for Soviet kit. The Soviet name is just the design bureau and a sequential number, similar to the one the Germans use.

Mikoyan Gurevich (surnames of Anton M and Mikhail G who founded the bureau) and it is just aircraft 25. Easy.

I do believe that the Euro fighter Typhoon also has the vectored jets for seriously tight turns !! After watching it at a display last, it seriously looks weird in the sky's.. The vectors almost give it the impression that on a tight turn it gets arse end out like a rear wheel drive car would !!! The plane goes into a turn then the vectors tighten and turn and suddenly its reacting like a car in a powerslide !!! Great stuff...

Was anyone here at Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2005 !!!!! Now that was weird !! A South African Airways HUGE Jumbo put on a display and flew over Goodwood house approx 100ft above !!!! So so surreal !! It was a 50 year celbration of Rolls Royce Jumbo engines and bugger me, they showed em off in real style !! Smell the av gas baby !!!

delboy009":1jxv6ot2 said:
Was anyone here at Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2005 !!!!! Now that was weird !! A South African Airways HUGE Jumbo put on a display and flew over Goodwood house approx 100ft above !!!!

yeah, was there. They do a 747 every year these days - very impressive; Looks so slow too.

You a regular there? Local?

Can't go this year - same weekend as Mayhem! Typical.

Back