fixed gear qu...sorry

SA have also launched a new 3 spd fixed hub.

I was once told/read (dont know where) that BMX 20" isnt the same as kids bike/folder 20", so it might be worth a check that they are both compatible with your brakes.

BMX also have loads of spokes and are built to be bombproof. Do you need all that added weight and complexity, given that its for the road. All alloy kids mtb 20" road wheels cost about £15 each from decathlon. I bought one for our trailerbike and its good, but as its built to take a multispeed freewheel, I messed around with the spacing and spoke dishing to accommodate a single sprocket.

yeah agree with what you are saying pigman....

kids single speed is what i want a closer look at to see if it will accomodate fixed cog and lock ring rather than a hub made for a cluster..

have seen bmx rims single wall between 8 and 12 quid in black 36h...get some spokes and get it laced to an appropiate hub should save weight....

This is going to cost a fortune!
Why don't you just rebuild your steel rims with a new hub? With fixed gear, brakes are not such a big deal.

the steel rims are nice enough lookin wheels i admit with SA and only 28 spokes...

however the chrome has pitted in a couple of places and i want wider lighter alloy wheels ....

the bike is gettin to look how i want it now and i have a set of wide alloy wheels with SA 36 spoke comin' for it soon...also a coaster hub wheel

with the quick brush up of options available to go fixed i think i am going to look into fixing the SA to a 2 speed as mentioned above as i will have a spare SA at my disposal

my lbs said a rep come round telling them about the new SA 3 speed and gave him a print out of how to fix an old SA to 2 speed...anyone seen this print out..my lbs couldnt find it..is it any different to Sheldon Browns version....??..:)

Let us know how you get on!

Turning an AW into a 2 speed fixed is a fantastically complicated task, I've always been scared of doing it.

ive not actually read up on it yet as have only been on comp for a small snippet of time every time ive logged on since it's been mentioned...

but you now have me scared too.... :shock:

ok here is the bike in qu.....

Picture516.jpg

i think it looks very retro indeed...

so will keep this SA with wider alloy wheels instead of steels....needs a longer mtb stem and gear cable also

but i intend to get another one and go fixed with that by using a cheap end of market track hub...will be fun.... :D

which make did you go for?

ive seen system ex for around the 25 to 30 mark and another one at 30 quid with a polished alloy look..can't remember the make...

have a pic of a fixie shopper that got some attention on da web!......

shopper1.jpg

Latest posts

Back