Youngs Rebuild

pistolpedro

Old School Hero
Nervex pro lugs and i'm guessing 531DB (27.2 post)

CIMG7123.jpg

Wasnt expecting much but it seems to be a nicely made frame, really like the tapered / fastback seatstays

CIMG7126.jpg

CIMG7127.jpg

Thought the forks may have been non original (fully sloping seem a bit modern for this bike) however the number on the frame corresponds with the number on the steerer

CIMG7129.jpg

After giving it the once over i did consider doing a period build however it would be to similar to my other road bike so going to stick to my original plan of old frame and modern components

First job is to have the centre pull hanger removed, guessing i'm going to have to change the mech hanger to (simplex dropouts)

CIMG7122.jpg

There are two holes on the head tube however i think finding a head badge will be a tall order so I'll behaving these filled and using a Youngs transfer from Lloyds

Once the metal work is complete will be off for a re enamel in black with yellow lug lining and yellow down tube panel

Parts collected so far

CIMG7108.jpg

Going for Mirage on the drivetrain, seems to be some real bargains out there at the min plus i'm going for an all black look :cool: Regarding brakes ideally I would like to fit some athenas in graphite

Had this sat in a drawer for a few months so thought I may as well use it! although I need to get a 2 nut / grip nut conversion kit from the states

CIMG7112.jpg

CIMG7110.jpg

pete

Will look cool escpecially when Campagnolo and Cinelli are involved :cool:

Nigel at Campy oldy has some nice black anodised Campagnolo Omega 19 or Omega 20 rims that would look great with this

Did your Grammo fit ok with your bars

Hi Lemond Fan

The grammo is 26.0 so i'll i wont be using the criterium bars, leaning towards anatomical bars now

really pleased with the stem, lovely piece of kit, the font on the rubber cap is cool! :cool: no major marks although the lower part has quite a few scratches but these shouldn't be visible when its fitted

would really like those rims they'd be ideal, got a number of shimano wheels i'll be using to get me going (using a shiftmate) hopefully replace them in the summertime

Small update

Few bits and bobs arrived

CIMG7135.jpg

dura ace ti cassette (will be using shiftmate)

CIMG7137.jpg

CIMG7138.jpg

not bad for £18 delivered :D

can anyone tell me what size crank bolts these use? ideally i'd like to replace them with something darker

sounded like there was a ball bearing rattling round the top tube, used a magnet to get it out (through the gas release hole) came out in lots of small bits havent got a clue what it was :?

CIMG7130.jpg

pete

Will be a nice build :)

I've got a 1" King gripnut headset in black if you're interested in swapping the relevant top bits?. I can always use another 1 " aheadset!

Andy

more goodies :D

Went to the manchester bike jumble last week found this record chainset going cheap so snapped it up, think i've made a rod for my own back now though as i'd like to go for record mechs and shifters now :(

CIMG7159.jpg

brakes

CIMG7161.jpg

CIMG7162.jpg

CIMG7164.jpg

Taking the frame to the builders this week, i'll get some pics up when i collect it

pete

Update :D

More campag bits

CIMG7176.jpg

CIMG7177.jpg

CIMG7222.jpg

CIMG7220.jpg

CIMG7223.jpg

Cinelli bars

CIMG7174.jpg

Got the frame back today sorry for the bad pics (even worse than usual) going to the enameler tomorrow so had to grab some pics quick

New brake bridge and rack eyelets, may wish to add a rack in the future so it made sense to get them fitted now

CIMG7205.jpg

down tube shifter bosses

CIMG7207.jpg

bottle mounts

CIMG7211.jpg

cable guides

CIMG7217.jpg

new dropouts, kept them vertical for ease of getting the wheel in and out

CIMG7219.jpg

bridge altered for mudguard

CIMG7206.jpg

Pete

Youngs

Lot of thought gone into this,looking forward to seeing it finished,what colour/colours?

main colour will be black (havent decided on metallic or flat) white panels with yellow pinstripe, white headtube and lugs lined in white

unfortunately I havent got space for more than two bikes at my flat, this is my main one so has to do everything really including getting me to and from work in summer hence the mudguards and rack

Latest posts

Back