BoTM January 2010 - Saracen Special - Nominations please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
dendy":plp04ovg said:
Very nice DSP! :cool:

My favourite so far. What wheels are they?

Thanks. The wheels are DX hubs and Mavic 117 CD rims. Tyres are Tioga Farmer John's Cousins. The snowflake front spokes are currently quite appropriate.

drystonepaul":2d2fds1d said:
dendy":2d2fds1d said:
Very nice DSP! :cool:

My favourite so far. What wheels are they?

Thanks. The wheels are DX hubs and Mavic 117 CD rims. Tyres are Tioga Farmer John's Cousins. The snowflake front spokes are currently quite appropriate.

I agree, very nice indeed.. And good to see it being ridden like it should be :cool:

I am struggling to get my tyres sorted in time. The best I could do was some butterscotch psychos off ebay that are on there way and for obvious reasons I am unsure how they are going to look. I suppose they will either look ace or real poo but i just can't bring myself to enter my Race Elite whilst it is wearing modern black walls... :roll:

drystonepaul's won this by a mile I reckon, but he said I should post up my hotrod Kili anyway... so here it is. Since pic was taken I've neatened up the rear cabling so the brake cable no longer crosses over the wishbone ;)

17951_248940831170_586536170_4845326_407051_n.jpg

big.eck":101vsek5 said:
GoldenEraMTB":101vsek5 said:
just for reference, what american brand would be the equivalent?

prob a wallmart special :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

good question actually :?

I realise that you are going for devil's advocacy here, but given that the older Saracens had very good build quality, used good tubing, used good componentry, and had incredibly durable (and vivid) finishes, the comparison made is clearly not even close.

At the time I bought mine (1989), there was no question in my mind that the Tufftrax was a better proposition than the overtly Far Eastern built Rockhopper and its ilk (on the basis of tubes, groupset, wheels, appearance...), and comparable with the Stumpy. As it is still running sweetly and in near daily use 20 years later, I've never regretted buying it.

So I would say Specialized level or better for the old steel Saracens :)

Couple of good entries so far - hardly the Saracen-fest I'd hoped for :?

therealkw15":2owlc05o said:
big.eck":2owlc05o said:
GoldenEraMTB":2owlc05o said:
just for reference, what american brand would be the equivalent?

prob a wallmart special :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

good question actually :?

I realise that you are going for devil's advocacy here, but given that the older Saracens had very good build quality, used good tubing, used good componentry, and had incredibly durable (and vivid) finishes, the comparison made is clearly not even close.

At the time I bought mine (1989), there was no question in my mind that the Tufftrax was a better proposition than the overtly Far Eastern built Rockhopper and its ilk (on the basis of tubes, groupset, wheels, appearance...), and comparable with the Stumpy. As it is still running sweetly and in near daily use 20 years later, I've never regretted buying it.

So I would say Specialized level or better for the old steel Saracens :)

x2. Late 80s through to mid 90s Saracen did some really good stuff. Sadly they faded quite dramatically and histroy does not look on the brand terribly favourably. Hopefully the new owners can revivie the marque!

Re: Kili racer

konatime":2nbshnje said:
Hello there
Sorry I'am new to this .
What are Decals? Please
They are another word for stickers, you know say the word "Saracen" that is proudly shown on the bike frames down tube etc, etc that would be classed as a "decal" OK

I'll clean up my far-from-mint example, and take off the mudguards and other appendages, and enter it to flush out some better Blue Tufftrax representation. But not on the coldest night in living memory.

If only I could find the original bottle and cage that came with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back