Tim Gould's Team Peugeot Roberts White Spider

ssulljm":1cqdmvmc said:
there is a nice war story on VRC about a chap who aparently would have taken bronze at Durango in 1990 - his bike failed and a certain Tim Gould passed him on the trail and into history.

Tim Rutherford riding for ritchey.

Yes, it was Tim Rutherford, however, he had just bridged up to TGould and was in his dust when TRutherford's Ritchey team bike snapped in half at the headtube.....
I was a Ritchey team rider at that event, and had the distinct misfortune of being at the Ritchey team condo when T Rutherford entered after snapping his frame....He held his anger from the press as he walked off the course, and let it out once inside the condo......

One can imagine he'd be fairly furious. Did anyone in particular get the blame for that mishap? Any pics also...

One can imagine he'd be fairly furious. Did anyone in particular get the blame for that mishap? Any pics also...[/quote]

Depends on who you speak with , if you ask Tim Rutherford, he spoke about using the same bike all year.... bound to happen type of deal.

Tom Ritchey just shrugs+says that's racing...
I personally think there is middle ground in both those reflections....

Might have a pic or 2 in some box somewhere, pre digital camera era, will look around over the next few months+see....

ededwards":1f7c8f7u said:
You asked for views on the paint so here goes.

Do NOT repaint this bike under any circumstances! If you do then it will just be a Tim Gould White Spider replica rather than one he actually rode. Of course touch up or treat any bare patches to prevent corrosion but otherwise just enjoy all that history (and of course some of the scratches won't have been made by Tim but that isn't my point).

100% right

What is Tim doing now?

tintin40":24sty53y said:
ededwards":24sty53y said:
You asked for views on the paint so here goes.

Do NOT repaint this bike under any circumstances! If you do then it will just be a Tim Gould White Spider replica rather than one he actually rode. Of course touch up or treat any bare patches to prevent corrosion but otherwise just enjoy all that history (and of course some of the scratches won't have been made by Tim but that isn't my point).

100% right

What is Tim doing now?

Hopefully reading this thread :)

I agree it would be really cool to hook Tim up with the bike again, I still remember reading his columns in MBi back in the day! It was just a real shame he suffered from illness just when he and the sport were at such a peak :(

cchris2lou":2y9lknf2 said:
he is a postman .

In which case he wont be reading this site. As the post office is not very popular here.

tintin40":2fza27ao said:
cchris2lou":2fza27ao said:
he is a postman .

In which case he wont be reading this site. As the post office is not very popular here.

I wouldn't say that at all. Have no particular beef with the PO. Be good to show him this thread :)

I was speaking to Tim a few weeks ago and mentioned this thread to him, so he might've read it. He's certainly seen some of the footage of himself that's popped up on YouTube :)

"That'll make a nice bike for someone" was his comment about this Roberts.

Back