Lawwill Leader 3 - spares? Also contains Fuquay logic frame

pushbikerider

Dirt Disciple
Hi Folks - thought you might be interested in this:

Long story but basically my normal rig broke and I didn't want to ride my fully rigid SS at Enduro 6. Good friend of mine said he could lend me a fine pair of forks with a 1" steerer!

It's a Greg Fuquay custom Richey Logic frameset circa '96 finished in the original Rockshox Judy Yellow. Forks as you might have spotted are Lawwill Leader 3's.

Tried 70psi first which was a bit high, down to 50psi and they started opening up much better; difficult to run them with much sag 'cos of stiction (or compression damping?) and the lack of travel (these long travel 2.5" forks will never catch on!).

Bit of a clunky top out but that great 'ride them at a small kerb' action reminds me of other linkage forks. Much better build quality than the Girvins too. Bushes still feel together with no flopping or knocking. Weight is at 3.75lbs...

Anyone know about spares? I'd like to keep riding it if I can and the bushes in the pivots are bound to go...

Attachments

• Leader! 005 800x600.jpg
    Leader! 005 800x600.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 5,011
Damn I love Fuquay frames!

Never used Leaders before but they certainly look retro ;) :!:

Lovin that Fuquay :cool:

A good friend had leaders on an Explosif, a very distinctive look but a slightly unusual ride. The top out clunk is always there but I remember him saying at the time that it was not a problem. I prefered my Manitou 3's and 4's at the time but I'd love a set of Leaders now.

yup, top out is normal, but you're right, the damping action is slightly strange. I think the initial stiction is slightly high, and then the leverage afforded by the little 'swinging arms' on the bottom of the forks I think applies quite a loead, so it blows through its travel quite quickly. I run mine at about 80psi on my ARC AS/LT. I've never managed to get the damping quite right (shim stacks and oil). Bushed look like simple bushes, easy enough to turn up on my lathe!

Ooooh, fingers crossed you get it back!

Been pimping mine up, new saddle, seatpost and cranks fitted, just gotta fit the brakes on now :D

Stu

...thanks guys, glad you like the bike :D

Not strictly retro purist but the frame, forks, headset, seat post and maybe saddle are all from the same era. Frame's also got it's original paint too which is why it looks a little tatty close up :oops:

Fuquays don't have the neatest welding ever but they last well and have great handling. As part of the custom spec I had crudcatcher and chainsuck plate bosses put on mine.

One of my mates had an earlier Fuquay with fillet brazed joints (one of the first frames Greg sold in the UK); it looked really smooooth, although it would have put the weight up a bit. My frame clocks in at spot on 4lb.

Good to hear the forks are working as they should be! I'll see how they ride at the weekend, I tend to run my forks fairly soft although it looks like that's going to mean they bottom out regularly.

Any other owners know how long it takes for the bushes to start to wear out? (DIY option sounds hopefull as I'm fairly sure spares are going to be hard to find)

Back