Coolwall - Marin

Marin - Cool or Uncool?

• Cool

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
not cool - thought they were for a year or so BITD, then bought a shiney Zolatone Pine Mountain...and it was shockingly shite to ride. Didn't like it at all. Realised they were poo, and bought an Aluminium O and transferred the bits :)

nayfinesse":10m6n5dy said:
Love the Zolatone and flouro ones from 88 to 90 especially the Pine Mountain, they get the cool vote. Not fond of the subsequent greyish ones I think I'll sit this one out and sit on the fence with a foot in both camps.

I think those bikes are the only Marins I was fond of along with the Team Ti of course. Lost interest in the brand after that and they couldn't really cut it alongside the likes of Klein in the must have/cool stakes BITD

I think the talk of ride quality in this thread is irrelevant, for a start the same bike may feel quite different to two riders depending on things like weight, fitness, technique and perhaps most importantly, body morphology. where you ride is also a consideration.

Personally when I hear Marin the image that pops into my head is a matte Zolatone Pine Mountain with fluoro orange forks/stem/bars, like this (don't know if this is a members bike - Google image search result)

Marin_Pine_Mountain.jpg

That is a cool looking bike (and that should be the major consideration in this vote).

At the risk of losing some cool votes (but hopefully gaining some) here is my latest Marin (and my first for 5 years or so) currently in a brown van somewhere between Utah and Toronto. I think this is a very cool looking bike.

splattereldridgecrop.jpg

Zolatone/flouro is nice

Like Kona though, I think Marin lost the plot in the mid/late 90s

Concur with the above......................but back when ye could name makers of decent bikes on one hand, I wanted Fluo Muirwoods like I wanted her out of Transvision Vamp!! :p

Bet ye could get both for less than a hundred quid now..............

That is the PM I had just above, thought THAT was cool looking.
Sadly though as a brand over time, deffo noo.

Especially as has been said, when they brought out their cheapo anno bits. Kinda missed the point big time.
Don't get me started about modern marins either.. :LOL: :roll:

is marin cool?

despite other brands having more interesting appearances,marin are
one of just a few companies that have pulled off that 'keep it simple'
look whilst maintaining a healthy following for the marque.the front
cable guide wheel on the stem almost looked unique.

was it? :?

Re: is marin cool?

marc two tone":3byz8em1 said:
despite other brands having more interesting appearances,marin are
one of just a few companies that have pulled off that 'keep it simple'
look whilst maintaining a healthy following for the marque.the front
cable guide wheel on the stem almost looked unique.

was it? :?

Think that was a Salsa invention, early Ringle stems had an internal roller too I believe.

Marin = cool

How can they not be cool with their Marin County/Mt Tam heritage? Admit the late '80's/early '90's bikes were the best but you could still get a pretty nice, white painted steel Pine Mt around 2000 so they didn't completely lose the plot.

Back