NOS 1992 Kona Explosif from Switzerland

Here's a shot of some fork crowns I have in the cellar - (L) Tange Switchblade (Spinner-made) ; (M) PACE; (R) earlier Track 2 (Spinner-made)....

Bruce's fork looks very much like a rebadged Switchblade crown...with the straight 91 T2 legs. Am interested to know more about the fork recall - would that have been for this combination of crown and legs or just the 91 era? Maybe this was the interim solution before the P2s?

The sense that I'm getting from all the information is that this may be a 'prototype' build-up to see what it might look like for 92 ie. spray up a 91 Explosif, add those new Spinner crowns etc etc. It would be great if we could discover whether the build was put together at the factory or at the /distributors/dealers... were Pros frame only orders?

Mr K

BTW Andrew - one pair of my early T2s came as standard on a Roberts Stratos e-stay, the others were acquired separately over the bay and came with the same dusty chrome finish as the Roberts (suggesting they weren't OEM Kona forks).

Attachments

• Forks.jpg
    Forks.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,256
bduc61":2s9akteg said:
you are lucky indeed :cool:

went around shops in Geneva in the same hunt and the only word "steel" seemed like a "swear word" there. :cry:

Sorry for the late reply, I missed your post.

Sometimes shop owners are so hopeless...
I was visiting the local bike shops trying to find used bits to build a bike and one shop owner told me in a patronizing way that "people use the gear they have until its useless then chuck it away and buy new stuff". No one swaps or replaces what comes with the bike. And a second hand market didn't exist according to him. And he was saying that while dusting the 2010 Scott Genius he had in the store...

:?

mrkawasaki":8v5l5bgf said:
Here's a shot of some fork crowns I have in the cellar - (L) Tange Switchblade (Spinner-made) ; (M) PACE; (R) earlier Track 2 (Spinner-made)....

Bruce's fork looks very much like a rebadged Switchblade crown...with the straight 91 T2 legs. Am interested to know more about the fork recall - would that have been for this combination of crown and legs or just the 91 era? Maybe this was the interim solution before the P2s?

The sense that I'm getting from all the information is that this may be a 'prototype' build-up to see what it might look like for 92 ie. spray up a 91 Explosif, add those new Spinner crowns etc etc. It would be great if we could discover whether the build was put together at the factory or at the /distributors/dealers... were Pros frame only orders?

Mr K

BTW Andrew - one pair of my early T2s came as standard on a Roberts Stratos e-stay, the others were acquired separately over the bay and came with the same dusty chrome finish as the Roberts (suggesting they weren't OEM Kona forks).

Hi Mr K,
the forks in your photo look very similar but not exactly the same as the ones I've got. Any ideas on how to properly identify my kit? Any serial n°s or details I should be looking for? That could help in case I want to sell them, which is very likely. Here's two more imgs.

thanks a lot,
B

edit: Tomorrow I'm going to the shop where I bought the bike to ask about the missing crown race (thanks again Anthony).
I'll try to get more information on this Explosif combo.

2qamtee.jpg

vh3ke8.jpg

Neil":3pmubkhq said:
bruce.of.zurich":3pmubkhq said:
See that's an oddity in itself - the Shimano canti hanger seems a lot later than the cantis it's with.

mmm...
being a total retro-ignorant I couldn't identify them even though the name is there. Google comes up with a long list of SLR road brakes.

25f5dsg.jpg

thx,
b

Im too thinking the canti hanger is from a newer generation of low profile cantis such as STX possibly, the brake would have had a STD yoke as the round fixing type with short cable and main cable passing was for the low profile range. Shimano did have this style of hanger in this era but was silver with nuts front and rear without the length of grey outer which would have made setting them up so much easier back then :LOL:

BITD I did swap out my front low pro canti's on my 91 kona for these as they worked better up front but did not give heal clearance on the rear.

Lovley bike by the way and I love the colour :cool:

Back