Offshoot of LGF's thread... watch ideas?

Gravy Monster":2gu8d70s said:
Seiko are a good quality watch IMO, I have a collection of time pieces but non are of the norm bling

One I have is a 2007 seiko cronograph that has a 1/100 dial that spins as fast a helecopter rotor blades so say :cool:. Its bomb proof and is nice and heavy, Titanium watches are cool but I prefer something more weighty.

http://www.seiko.co.uk/products/seiko/c ... m/spc001p1
Seiko make some of the finest watches available - although not sold retail outside of Japan (Grand Seiko watches).

Their normal watches are pretty good, from the robust Seiko 5s, to their more expensive models.

Many watches have no real tangible difference to other makes - especially any that are quartz. Even the mechanical models can be largely the same mechanism used (although in fairness, some higher-end watch makes use their own mechs). Somewhere in the middle, you have "designer" brands, taking off-the-shelf mechs, "customising" them slightly, and branding their watch and selling for 1-3k.

In most cases, up to say 2k in price, you are probably paying for the name, a fancy case, a reasonable mechanism (albeit possibly not high-end) and a decent warranty.

Has to be an Omega. I've had lots of watches over the years, tags, longines, IWC even a Pattick Phillipe. Rolex's are ten a penny but a good omega will stand the test of time. Unless it's a Tag Monaco. If you get to that point you'll need both and have to eat beans for 6months as I did :LOL:

I would consider a Zenith if it was me.

Rolex use Zenith movements.

They also do a wide range of styles so I find there is something to suit all ocasions

For that slightly retro, Tour De France/cycling drug scandal look, how about a Festina?

I've had mine (a chrono bike) for 7 years now (bought as an engagement present by my now wife), with a battery change the only thing of note, except for some of the plating wearing off the bezel to give it a nice (I think) level of patination.

Awkward Kid":1fltaaou said:
Has to be an Omega. I've had lots of watches over the years, tags, longines, IWC even a Pattick Phillipe. Rolex's are ten a penny but a good omega will stand the test of time. Unless it's a Tag Monaco. If you get to that point you'll need both and have to eat beans for 6months as I did :LOL:

Not too sure where Rolexs are ten a penny, last time i looked they were'nt half bad at manafacturing (opposed to buying-in in Longines-Tag-Omega style) in-house free sprung chronometers in oyster cases that did what they said on the tin.. for longer than we are designed to live. Whilsts it's true that Rx leant on Zenith for supply of the famous chronograph calibre....they have since corrected this.

Any pre '71 automatic from Rolex (c15xx) Omega (c.5xx)IWC(c.85xx) is worth the mullers (£'s). My best tip to the original poster given his slightly forgivable contradictory remarks/wants (chunky and Cartier and not normally associated with each other) is a clean Omega Speedmaster from the mid to late '60's, housing a calibre 321 with column wheel...a nice one will stand you in somewhere between £1500 and £2k ;)

Please forgive me Awkward but it's a sin to spell Patek Philippe how you did.(a bit like calling the Crewe mob Roys Rolls)....so to speak).

Back