Coolwall - Marin

Marin - Cool or Uncool?

• Cool

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Cool, I think for many of us it was either a Marin or a Kona that arrived as our first "propper" mountain bike. Understated cool if you ask me. Why go for fat tubes, e-stays or fugly tripple triangle designs when you can produce svelte steel frames that perform. The higher range stuff was also accesable...sure it was pricey but no where near that of other manufacturers top end, but still came with great kit.

JeRkY":1u0f7asq said:
Cool, I think for many of us it was either a Marin or a Kona that arrived as our first "propper" mountain bike. Understated cool if you ask me. Why go for fat tubes, e-stays or fugly tripple triangle designs when you can produce svelte steel frames that perform. The higher range stuff was also accesable...sure it was pricey but no where near that of other manufacturers top end, but still came with great kit.

You obviously didnt grow up where I did, the more the frame was doing standing still (e-stay, fat toobs etc) the cooler you were....

I don't remember seeing many Kona's or GT's or Oranges where i grew up, a lot of the richer kids had Marin's the rest of us had Raleighs, CB's, British Eagles etc

I don't know whether this was because of what the LBS' stocked or what, but I always thought they where cool, and they had afterburners :D

Edit: I always like the magazine adverts / articles with bikes in epic travel mode going across distant countries pannierd up to the hilt. I always wanted to do a similar adventure. You saw plenty of Marins and even Oranges but don't recall (rightly or wrongly) seeing many GT's or Konas

I've grown to appreciate Marin's more as I get older, some great ones on here so yeah gets the thumbs up from me as being cool.

A childhood memory that sticks out for me was sitting on Skipton High Street with my mate in 1990. I had my Tufftrax, he had his Palisades (both bikes collected on the same day from the same shop and our pride + joy's) when two blokes rode past on light grey/pink Team Marins. To a 12 year old they were the coolest things I'd ever seen. Spent the rest of the day dreaming of having a Team and wondering how any one could afford the £799 asking price. :oops: :cool:

My first MTB was a Bear Valley SE. Got me hooked. I recall (in 1991) being passed on the scree at Ben Nevis by two nutters riding fluro Marins. I was struggling walking up it. COOL.

Latest posts

Back