Cable routing Q

beagle

Senior Retro Guru
This is probably a silly question with an obvious answer. My hack bike is currently fixed gear but I'm thinking about putting some gears on, maybe 7 speed on the back. It's a bit of an eclectic mish mash of bits, old and new and I'm thinking a thumbie rather than a DT shifter.

The frame is an old Claud Butler Daleman and what I can't see is how the cables would have been routed round the BB? It came to me as a frame and I've never had it geared. It has a bump where DT shifters would have been clamped on and a hose guide on the chain stay and that's it. The other Dalemans (Dalesmen?) on the forum look like they have a guide on the BB shell and mech hangers, but that's probably just because they are later models. As far as I can see nothing's been cut off. Would it have had some kind of clamp on guide thing?

Probably should add it isn't drilled to screw a guide onto the bottom of the BB shell, would it have had one stuck on there?

Some pics:

screenshot20100103at111.jpg

screenshot20100103at111n.jpg

screenshot20100103at111.jpg

screenshot20100103at111k.jpg

screenshot20100103at111m.jpg

Cheers.

Here's pic of a rear only guide:
ST-1134.jpg

Obviously a guide for both front and rear mechs would be double sided.

The one in the last post only works with a front mech with a built-in cable stop, another pic:
SH-6229110.1.jpg

Just as a thought, if you only need a few ratios, have you considered a good old Sturmey Archer? Easier conversion, the bits are that much easier to find.

chris667":1q7cibl0 said:
Just as a thought, if you only need a few ratios, have you considered a good old Sturmey Archer? Easier conversion, the bits are that much easier to find.

Good suggestion, hadn't even thought about it. It would definitely be a lot less hassle. Don't really need the ratios, it was just this is my do everything bike that I ride the most and riding it fixed has got a bit dull, especially on the down hills.

Back