Marin - Cool or Uncool?

• Cool

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
pete_mcc":1bzhleni said:
bushpig":1bzhleni said:
ST220? His is like a friggin' custom race car - it is one of the 200 or so Merlin built Marins. I want one of those!

But you have a pink bike so can't be totally trusted on matters of taste

I've got more than one, matey. No "Cool Wall" needed for pink bikes, since all must agree that they define Cool.

bushpig":3ez1sfzg said:
No "Cool Wall" needed for pink bikes, since all must agree that they define Cool.

Word!

sahibsingh90__Traded%20his%20Harley%20Davidson%20for%20a%20pink%20bicycle.jpg

I hate to disagree, cooler than 'Cooler, three weeks'

This is hot-roded but cool as Cheddar in the fridge

marin1_434.jpg

Difficult one this, I remember the late 80's start of the Marin wave and will never forget the fluorescent paintwork of forks and stems against the zolatone. I really wanted a marin bitd.

I have only owned 2 Marins, 1 I kept for parts and gave away the frame & forks and the other is with my brother which is a cool bike with its CNC rear stay and is un-cracked :shock:

I will say that they were built to last, I bet if you look on ebay there will be a pine mountain or an eldridge thats been in shed for years (with seatpost on backwards as they usually are for some reason) going for peanuts :?

Uncool sorry :(

Someone may say Marin is dull but hey, I actually like they never followed with 90's trends like elevated frame nonsense when everyone back to days wanted them, or odd carbon constructions. Marin had own philosophy - make just a good, reliable bikes (apart full susers maybe). Steel and titanium bikes are sub zero to me. Cool

Have a '91 Palisades Trail - was the bike that got me into mountain biking and racing in the first place, so you can understand my bias.

Always thought the mud clogging, grey non-chip and neon paint jobs were distinctive and to name their forks Rock Stars made them sound cool, even if the only reason was distinguish themselves from the competition. Coveted a Team Titanium from the moment I saw it in a Marin brochure, so cool for me.

Will always be the definition of subtle cal-look cool for me.

I love early Marin's - they give me a warm feeling inside.

Go back, baaack to the late '80's, early '90's when most of us bough our first bikes.

There was GT with its triple triangle

Cannondale with those hoooge toobs dude

Kona with their sloping top tube

Orange with their loud paint and wishbone rear end

Marin with... with.... oh, no just a flouro paint job.

You've got to remember when brands were imprinting on our youthful minds, bikes that made an immediate impression remained in our brains. It was nothing to do with how it rode unless we were racing (which alot of us never did) it was how it looked.

I remember Marin quite well but I would never be able to tell the difference between the models apart from the groupset.

I was was floating around on a Grellow Claud Butler with 531 tubing - it was never cool until I took the CB decals off and stuck a pair of MAG 20 on it (which nobody else had at the time) - I was then uber cooool....

:D

Back