NOS 1992 Kona Explosif from Switzerland

interesting...
there are rubber hoods on these levers, although taking them off for the photos the other day I noticed they used two left hoods, the one on the right is an "L" turned upside down.

b

FluffyChicken":1mqa8emv said:
I also read about the recall of the Track Two forks (though a few weeks ago, don't know where or why I did)

That design of Track Two was the redesign in 1991 (so says the catalogue)

The frame colour though not in the catalogue in 1991 as a choice in the UK is in a picture with the P2 forks on in said catalogue.
Which catalogue do you have with a green Explosif in it?

Anthony":3d5flltz said:
FluffyChicken":3d5flltz said:
I also read about the recall of the Track Two forks (though a few weeks ago, don't know where or why I did)

That design of Track Two was the redesign in 1991 (so says the catalogue)

The frame colour though not in the catalogue in 1991 as a choice in the UK is in a picture with the P2 forks on in said catalogue.
Which catalogue do you have with a green Explosif in it?

I'd love to see that catalogue photo too...
thanks

Did any one else mention the non-matching front and rear wheels and tyres? Plus the front canti's are an older model than the rears. I would have to agree with Anthony that this bike has probably been gradually robbed of parts as it sat around in a shop waiting for a buyer. Still very nice and as everything is in new condition still an amazing find! :)

BarneyRubble":300q8uja said:
Did any one else mention the non-matching front and rear wheels and tyres? Plus the front canti's are an older model than the rears. I would have to agree with Anthony that this bike has probably been gradually robbed of parts as it sat around in a shop waiting for a buyer. Still very nice and as everything is in new condition still an amazing find! :)

That's most likely the story of this bike. The mismatching tires were standard configuration I think, probably not in this combination (Murray Propulsion - Ritchey ZMax)

I'm still thinking what to do with the bike. I'm tempted to sell everything but the frame to fund a more modern cross country/ciclo cross setup. With disc brakes (all right, I've said it).

comments?

thanks,
b

bushpig":1ldk1je9 said:
The headset is missing parts. You shouldn't be able to see the bearings.

really? I'm won't be riding this bike because I want to change some bits here and there first. I shouldn't care too much about the headset then...

do you have any info on this headset by any chance?

thank you,
b

bruce.of.zurich":2q9i23nv said:
bushpig":2q9i23nv said:
really? I'm won't be riding this bike because I want to change some bits here and there first. I shouldn't care too much about the headset then...
thank you,
b
Hey don't start going wild! An intact brand new Impact is worth 25€ at least - but only if it's got a crown race!!! Well spotted Noah! I would take that bike straight back to the shop and ask them why they sold you a bike as NOS with no crown race. Get a bit of money back, whydoncha?

The picture below is a 94 Control Centre, but it's the same design as the Impact. The part on the left is the lower assembly and the bit with a chip out of it is the crown race that ought to be there for your bearings to play crown race games with. Seriously though, you can't sell a bike with no crown race, that's serious negligence, they ought to be embarrassed.

Incidentally I didn't comment on your serial number. I am a bit puzzled by it. F9110289 would normally suggest a bike built in the Fairly works in 1989, possibly November, but I think we can rule that out. I have seen a couple of other bikes with F9 instead of plain old F, which may signify a particular part of the Fairly works for all I know. So maybe it's the third digit that says the build date this time, in which case 11 is consistent with it being either a late 91 or early 92 model. I still suspect that it's an Explosif Pro and Explosif Pros were custom paint jobs on 91 Explosif frames.

Attachments

• broken Control Centre.jpg
    broken Control Centre.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,290
Anthony":fkl9p8u2 said:
bruce.of.zurich":fkl9p8u2 said:
bushpig":fkl9p8u2 said:
thank you,
b
Hey don't start going wild! An intact brand new Impact is worth 25€ at least - but only if it's got a crown race!!! Well spotted Noah! I would take that bike straight back to the shop and ask them why they sold you a bike as NOS with no crown race. Get a bit of money back, whydoncha?

The picture below is a 94 Control Centre, but it's the same design as the Impact. The part on the left is the lower assembly and the bit with a chip out of it is the crown race that ought to be there for your bearings to play crown race games with. Seriously though, you can't sell a bike with no crown race, that's serious negligence, they ought to be embarrassed.

Incidentally I didn't comment on your serial number. I am a bit puzzled by it. F9110289 would normally suggest a bike built in the Fairly works in 1989, possibly November, but I think we can rule that out. I have seen a couple of other bikes with F9 instead of plain old F, which may signify a particular part of the Fairly works for all I know. So maybe it's the third digit that says the build date this time, in which case 11 is consistent with it being either a late 91 or early 92 model. I still suspect that it's an Explosif Pro and Explosif Pros were custom paint jobs on 91 Explosif frames.

Anthony and Noah, thank you very much for the information.
I'll try to get some money back from the shop owner, I'd rather do that than leave the bike with him for a crown race (now I now what that is) replacement and possibly find tool marks in the front area when I collect it.

The bike has got a sticker saying Made in Taiwan. (I guess that's only the frame)

It's amazing how much I'm learning, in a very short time, about bikes through this forum and through this thread in particular.

Just one question, any recommendations on a short travel modern-ish set of forks for this particular geometry?

b

regarding the forks, I think there's some nice Tange ones that would fit. But I am curious to know if this frame could accommodate 80mm forks or if with this geometry the only choices are vintage suspensions or rigid. I hope my questions make sense.

Basically I love the frame, its thin tubes and of course the color, I could sell all the components (I might keep the lovely DX though) and build a more useable bike, which was the original idea.

thanks again,
b

Back