Kamikaze

The MadCows featured on High5 once, racing at Knebworth with JMC and the Raleigh pro team. Got that on video somewhere too!

The first Kamikaze race was in 1985, and the promoter, Don Douglas, called me in as a consultant, because until that time I was the only person who had promoted any downhill races. I organized the timekeeping and scoring and handled the starts.

The race in the video looks like about '86 or '87. I know the Marin rider, just can't put a name to him. It will come to me.

Have you raced the Kamikaze on Mammouth Mountain Repack Rider? I'm sure there's a bit in that original video where the camera is h'bar mounted.. Looks awesome.. :twisted:

Whilst looking for the Marin Rider, I thought I'd check the MTB Hall Of Fame.. Saw you in there :cool:

kingroon":3t5p3eer said:
Have you raced the Kamikaze on Mammouth Mountain Repack Rider? I'm sure there's a bit in that original video where the camera is h'bar mounted.. Looks awesome.. :twisted:

Whilst looking for the Marin Rider, I thought I'd check the MTB Hall Of Fame.. Saw you in there :cool:

I have ridden down that mountain, but I have never raced it. It's effing SCARY.

At the top the surface is loose and sandy and about a foot deep. The first turn is extremely off-camber and it takes forever to get around it.

On the straightaways you can let go of the brakes if you have the guts, and I have heard of speeds of 60 mph. The high elevation means there isn't much wind resistance.

I'm pretty sure this is the first place riders started wearing extensive armor.

I have some photos from the 1985 race, so I'll scan them and post them.

I seem to remember a photo in MBUK BITD of ?Mike King going down Kamikaze halfway round a corner at 50+ mph and you can see the rear wheel in mid-explosion as the tyre parts from the rim and disintegrates...

I have the vid infront of me.
Iwatched it last week , it did make me chuckle.
just coincidence it was mentioned in this thread.
I have taken a pic of the cover ,which is a great retro one.
It is beyond my computer skill to post it up.I can email it to someone if they could maybe put it up.

Regards Colin

kingroon":dojqngzk said:
Tomac, Kloser.. Who's the Marin rider?

Mike Jordan. Fortunately I put names on some of my photos. Here he is in 1985.

Attachments

• Mike_Jordan.jpg
    Mike_Jordan.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,683
From colinr! Classic..

Attachments

• 2004_0313vids0002.JPG
    2004_0313vids0002.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,648
Back