And then there's this.....July 3rd 2010

I may be up for this one. Did it this year as the biathlon but quite fancy it on the bike next year. Not been running anyway of late.

I looked at it last year, but it seems like there are a lot of hurdles to overcome compared with similar events- has to be teams of four, one of whom has to be a steward, have to raise £200 as well as pay the registration fee, getting to the start or from the finish on the day...

Shame, as it is a route I've fancied doing since about 1990. What kind of tyres are necessary for the full route- I've just got Panaracer Mach SSs these days for mixed road and track use but worry that they might not be knobbly enough if I do try it.

Pretty versatile tyre by the way, smooth on the road and stands up to touring loads fine, although I realise that was done on wider rims than I favour these days.

Whatever tyres you want :D but IMHO semi slix are perfect (some will disagree)

There is a wheel/tyre change option when you start the road section, but frankly as most of the off road bit is mainly LR track type stuff and rock/gravel rather than mud you don't need anything too knobbly.

I used semi slicks last year (Specialized Mt Baldy) throughout the event, which were great. Don't think I'd go back to the tyre change scenario I did in previous years.

Yes there are a few hoops to jump through in terms of entry but its great fun. Most of it is kinda flexible anyway - last year i did the saddobillynomates thing as guys i did it with previously wouldn't commit to it, and entered as a sole rider (the organisers simply allocate you (and other "nomaters") to a "on paper" team) and although had to pay entry fee was asked just to get as much sponsorship as i could, ignoring the £200 limit.

all good fun :LOL:

Still fancy this on the bike, but might be getting roped into the biathlon again. That'll give everyone a laugh - again.

Latest posts

Back